Sign in to follow this  

ledge/drop off technique

been riding a trail recently that has several 3' to 4' drops. I'm very new to two wheelers so i avoided the larger ones the first time out and this last time i felt confident enough to try them all. On the first bigger one i gave it a little more throttle, not much, and when i landed it was rear wheel first and front end really high. hit the rest of them and varied throttle input with the same effect every time. I'm afraid if i just keep constant throttle i will endo. Also, some of these you come up on at low speed, but the larger one i mentioned i'm up in third gear on my yz250 so i am moving along pretty good. what am i doing wrong?

Practice on an easy drop off by giving the bike just enough throttle to clear the skid plate over the edge of the ledge. (You must be standing on the pegs with your weight back a little bit.) As the rear wheel rolls off the edge pull up on the handle bars to put the bike at the angle you want. Practice various amount of throttle until you get it the way you want it. :thumbsup:

For a drop at speed (3rd gear) you almost have to do nothing. Just a slight rearward body position and steady throttle will keep the bike flat and you won't have a hard landing at all. the sower you go, the more you need to lean back, pull on bars, and blip the throttle on take off.

Keep constant throttle and lean back, and if you land with the throttle on it will lighten the impact, Having the throttle on keeps the bike moving forward instead of down (into the ground).

For me, I prefer landing with the front tire first and the gas on... so I prefer a little endo.

For me, I prefer landing with the front tire first and the gas on... so I prefer a little endo.

X2 :thumbsup:

Keep constant throttle and lean back, and if you land with the throttle on it will lighten the impact, Having the throttle on keeps the bike moving forward instead of down (into the ground).

im gonna give that a shot myself...i regularly hit 3/4' dropoffs and usually land square or a lil rear tire first,one of them is into 6/8"of sand then right into a tight turn{jumping into a wash}that one i ll stay a lil back for but gonna try the endo style on the others

im gonna give that a shot myself...i regularly hit 3/4' dropoffs and usually land square or a lil rear tire first,one of them is into 6/8"of sand then right into a tight turn{jumping into a wash}that one i ll stay a lil back for but gonna try the endo style on the others

Yea, the "throttle on" landings only work when you have somewhere to go... Or else it is bad news bears...

But I just hate landing with the back tire first because it tends to make the front tire slap down.... which wreaks havoc on the body :thumbsup:

find a small drop-off to practice on, like a curb, or a loading ramp at a staging area (one of our local areas has a wide ramp with 3 different heights, the lowest is less than 24"). If you just ride off with steady throttle you can figure out where you need to position your body and how much throttle you need to keep the bike level. That way it's natural and easy when you do it on a bigger drop.

I also try to land front first unless there is a rock or something....

mdenduro2a180.jpg

granted thats only a 2 ft...but same thing...

i really dnt like that slapping down when your front is high...get the front down and you can steer around the corner or start braking...

I like to load the suspension at least 1-2 bike lengths before the drop timing a bit of throttle with the rebound to get a flat launch.