Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ450 or 2007 WR450

I am in the market for a new bike. My last bike was a 2004 KTM 200 EXC which I really liked. I ride mostly trails and have a young son who is now riding a 50 so most of my time riding is spent out with him.

I recently looked at a new leftover 2006 YZ450 for $3999. I also looked at a new leftover 2007 WR450 for $4999. I know the WR is more trail oriented which is what I do most of the time. My question is for the money, which is a better bike? My next question is what would I need to do to make the YZ a decent (easier to handle) trail bike. I know I would have to change the gearing, possibly replace the flywheel etc. Any other suggesstions? I am just wondering if by the time I try to make the YZ trail ready I will have approached the price of the 1 year newer WR.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Todd

Riding with a young biker requires a lot of stopping and helping them restart/get going. A kickstand and e-start is worth their weight in gold!

The answer to your last question is yes, the WR is worth it. I have been through this exact scenario, only with older YZ400 and a WR426, which I still own. The YZ and WR are both excellent bikes for their intended purpose. I attempted to trailize the YZ400, but I could never get away from the incorrect gearing and overheating. I sold it and bought a WR, did all the free mods, and I love the bike. Buy the WR...you will spend way more time and money trying to trailize the YZ. If you want YZ power, you can get close by advancing the timing, opening up the airbox and exhaust, and rejetting, as I did. If you want to go a step further, you can install the YZ cams.