Sign in to follow this  

08 CRF450X Suspension issues

I am now MX racing out in the midwest and gone from nice soft New York loam tracks to hardpack Nebraska tracks and the rear suspention on my 450 is giving me fits. No matter how I set up rear I either bottom out or the rebound acts like a catipult and tries to throw me. Two races into the season now and I have almost ate it twice, big time. I am a runner, know how to go fast, but now have to change riding style in order to control bike on landings, and to just keep rear from dancing all over. Front gives me no problems, just the rear. I am just getting frustrated.

I am 260lbs with gear and still stock on suspension, any thoughts or ideas. Springs, a total R set up, just need a direction to go.

I thought about going with a true R model, but I have artificial knees and the electric start is a god send, I can not really bend knees to get a good kick position.

I am 56 and still running, got a few more years in me, love the bike, engine has been modded, bike stripped of all excess weight other than battery and starter, and I usually finish top 5 in the 40+ class. Even with all the suspension problems still hanging in there.

I am now MX racing out in the midwest and gone from nice soft New York loam tracks to hardpack Nebraska tracks and the rear suspention on my 450 is giving me fits. No matter how I set up rear I either bottom out or the rebound acts like a catipult and tries to throw me. Two races into the season now and I have almost ate it twice, big time. I am a runner, know how to go fast, but now have to change riding style in order to control bike on landings, and to just keep rear from dancing all over. Front gives me no problems, just the rear. I am just getting frustrated.

I am 260lbs with gear and still stock on suspension, any thoughts or ideas. Springs, a total R set up, just need a direction to go.

I thought about going with a true R model, but I have artificial knees and the electric start is a god send, I can not really bend knees to get a good kick position.

I am 56 and still running, got a few more years in me, love the bike, engine has been modded, bike stripped of all excess weight other than battery and starter, and I usually finish top 5 in the 40+ class. Even with all the suspension problems still hanging in there.

Very cool!

OK, so the stock suspension has some real problems, especially at your weight. Playing with the clickers can only do so much. You've got to get your rear spring right so your rear sag is at 25/100, and your fork springs changed to match. Probably 5.7/.49kg.

You don't really want to 'go R', cause you will just have different problems. Besides, the R forks don't flex at all, and this is not good on a heavy bike.

X Factory racers who don't use factory parts, use the X fork and shock. They are very well built.

What I would suggest is that you start playing detective at the track, to see what is working out there. Find the suspension tuner brand that obviously is giving the rider a distinct advantage, and call that company up. They will usually offer you a re-spring / re-valve / re-build package to suit your weight, riding style, and speed.

Until you have the suspension set up you have no idea how great this bike handles. It's scary how fast you can go on such a tank!

Don't think you can 'get away' just with stiffer springs. It needs to be done as a package, the springs and valving, so they work together.