Sign in to follow this  

my valves go outa wak

can anyone explain whyyyyy the valves go out of wake in the first place?? everyoneeeeee talks about valves getting out of line but how and y? isnt it physics? lobe opens springs close dont worry i know how an engine works trust me

what ive been told is the valve wears into the seat and closes the gap between the opening mechanism (whatever type is used) eventually it wont close fully and the compression will drop

what ive been told is the valve wears into the seat and closes the gap between the opening mechanism (whatever type is used) eventually it wont close fully and the compression will drop

Pretty much, the face of the valve wears against the seat (and the face of the seat wears with it) from opening and closing against each other so many times. If dirt gets past the air filter then this acts like sand paper between the valve and seat and wears the valve much faster, causing the valve to go out of adjustment very quickly. This is why it is important to perform proper air filter maintenance.

lubrication??

Yeah, because oil stops all wear from ever happening and everything always stays in spec for it's entire life.

BTW, the stems will also stretch a bit. Remember, you're dealing with measurements in the thousandths of an inch, doesn't take much wear for issues to pop up.

Yeah, because oil stops all wear from ever happening and everything always stays in spec for it's entire life.

BTW, the stems will also stretch a bit. Remember, you're dealing with measurements in the thousandths of an inch, doesn't take much wear for issues to pop up.

fair enough i think we also have to remember how many times a second these things open and close lol

As stated earlier, the valves wear down and become thinner. As they get thinner, the gap at the other end gets smaller. If allowed to get too thin, they will eventually pull through the hole (not good).

lubrication??

There is no lubrication between the valve face and the seat other than the little bit of fuel that may drop out of the incoming air/fuel mixture, and gasoline is not a very good lubricant. Beyond that, no lubricant will prevent wear like that from happening indefinitely.