Sign in to follow this  

Gearing up for the 450X Fan Install

DSCF1033.jpg

Packard Crimper

DSCF1031.jpg

Small layout of what I have so far.

Went with this fan from KTM Cycle Hutt

78035041044_lg.jpg

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktm-parts/ktm-parts.php?sku=81235941044&title=KTM-Fan&year=&ktm-model=&category=Cooling-Radiator&fitment=bigbikes

I wanted to go with the SPAL puller fan but no matter where or what I tried it had a lead time of 2 weeks to 2 months, no one had them in stock. I went with the KTM because of the mounting bracket, I hope that it works.:thumbsup:

I know also that you could procure this same 60.00 fan from SPAL (out of stock) or EBAY, but I didn't want to run the risk of getting a used POS.

Once I get the fan, and begin the install I will post more pics.

Also, mad PROPS to "Ricky Stator", great customer service, easy to talk to. Ordered my parts on a Monday had them that Friday. Now if only the fan would show up that quick.

• Like 1

Have you re-jetted from stock? Usually a fan is not needed if you un-cork and re-jet, which is healthier for the motor anyway.

Unless of course you ride in 80% humidity most of the time....

Have you re-jetted from stock? Usually a fan is not needed if you un-cork and re-jet, which is healthier for the motor anyway.

Unless of course you ride in 80% humidity most of the time....

^^^This + 100 degree days + stop lights = PAIN:smirk: for the Fo Fiddy.

Edited by CRF450XNUT

^^^This + 100 degree days + stop lights = PAIN:smirk: for the Fo Fiddy.

Yep, same here. Ride in Florida all year on my 'tarded X. I actually have the spal fan I bought over a year ago, but I haven't installed it yet. Went through last summer with no problem. I think only on one or two occasions at a long light, I hit 220 on my vapor.

I just use the XF+ coolant from zip ty racing, never have a problem.

I'm curious if you've had any water pump or head gasket problems with this stuff yet? Reason I ask is that it expands an additional 7% over let's say Engine Ice or LP coolants and consequently can cause some problems.

Are you sitting in traffic?

+1

I can't imagine any coolant keeping our bikes cool after over 5 minutes of just sitting in traffic in 95+ degree heat.

It was 94 today and luckily I didn't sit too long at any lights, but temps climb rapidly the little amount of time I do sit. They also fall rapidly once I get movin, thanks to our very efficient cooling system :thumbsup:

One of these days I'll get around to hooking the fan up. I thought about just hooking it to my horn button :confused:

• Like 1

+1

I can't imagine any coolant keeping our bikes cool after over 5 minutes of just sitting in traffic in 95+ degree heat.

It was 94 today and luckily I didn't sit too long at any lights, but temps climb rapidly the little amount of time I do sit. They also fall rapidly once I get movin, thanks to our very efficient cooling system :thumbsup:

One of these days I'll get around to hooking the fan up. I thought about just hooking it to my horn button :busted:

Evans (or Ty Davis') coolant might not make it run any cooler but will make it very hard to boil over. I'm interested in this thread because I'm now running the same thermostatically controlled fan on my KTM 2 stroke since it will boil over very easily on mountain ST or when temps are over 90F here in AZ. I nixed the Evans Coolant after the last engine seizure and went back to the stock fuel tank because it provides more room behind the rads for air flow and will accomodate the fan....Engine Ice no CRT no rad guards (except the stockers with stock louvers) and no problems....but we're just now getting in the hot season so there's still time to blow it up again.:worthy::confused: Seriously I believe the solution is the fan and correct jetting of course.

• Like 1

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Still fine tuning it, kicks on at 204 degrees. Little bit of awesome!

Took the photos with my brand new Nikon D3000

Well, I finished it up today, I hate, absolutely hate how the temp switch leads are so close to the exhaust, I should've extended the wires up a bit, oh well. I also had to cut the right fairing out a bit. When the bike is running, the volt meter reads roughly 13.25 VDC, when the fan kicks on it drops but eventually levels out to roughly 12.45 VDC. Hope that this helps, maybe to spark some curiosity to the "do it yourselfer's" in the 450X world.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

+1

It was 94 today and luckily I didn't sit too long at any lights, but temps climb rapidly the little amount of time I do sit. They also fall rapidly once I get movin, thanks to our very efficient cooling system :smirk:

One of these days I'll get around to hooking the fan up. I thought about just hooking it to my horn button :lol:

:prof:

That's a great idea, very inexpensive momentary switch.:smirk:

Is the fan waterproof? Nice job it looks good.

Yes Sir,

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=30103018

"(4") Paddle Blade Low Profile Fan / 12V Puller

From our low profile fan line this fan is ideal for oil cooler applications also popular in the motorcycle and ATV industry. It features a fully sealed waterproof/dustproof motor. Each fan is individually balanced for long life."

When I make it back to Montana, maybe we can get together and ride.:smirk:

CRF450XNUT, what did you use to set the 204 degree mark to be the signal for the fans to turn on?

Your project came out badass.:smirk:

CRF450XNUT, what did you use to set the 204 degree mark to be the signal for the fans to turn on?

Your project came out badass.:smirk:

Thanks man, I based it off the "water temp sensor" for the trail tech read out. The thermostatic temp sensor itself is in Celsius (95) pre-set and can't be adjusted, the 204 degree's is ball park and I should have stated that. In all actuality it is somewhere between 195-204ish. I think that I am going to research some more, I personally would like to have it kick on between 175-190. If you need anything else let me know.

Da Nut.:smirk:

Thanks man, I based it off the "water temp sensor" for the trail tech read out. The thermostatic temp sensor itself is in Celsius (95) pre-set and can't be adjusted, the 204 degree's is ball park and I should have stated that. In all actuality it is somewhere between 195-204ish. I think that I am going to research some more, I personally would like to have it kick on between 175-190. If you need anything else let me know.

Da Nut.:smirk:

Cool, thanks for the info. I was looking online and found a product called Mr. Gasket Thermostatic sensor that kicks on the fan at 190 degrees and turns off at 170 degrees, but who knows if it works.