Beta weak spark ??

Hey all , I sound a 2003 Beta rev3 for sale.. a friend of mine is kinda looking for a trials bike. this one is priced right , BUT the seller states it has "WEAK SPARK" was just wondering if any of the BETA-istas out there know of any known issues with spark/stator/electrical with these bikes? Im thinking of possible causes etc.. But this figuring out why things are not working perfectly on a trials bike is new to me , I ride GAS GAS.... LOL. Thanks in ADVANCE.. CHAD

Edited by polarity3232

"Weak spark" usually translates to, I don't know what's wrong with it.

Whatever's wrong with it can be fixed. The X factor is how much it will cost. It should be priced accordingly. It is a nice bike when in good condition.

thats what im thinking motovita.. just wondering if anyone out there ever had to replace a stator($?)or anything else related to "weak spark" ($$??)thanks chad.

I've seen Beta stators fail, but it's been either a complete or intermittent failure, not "weak spark".

I always considered "weak spark" a myth (in my 40 years of experience) until two years ago when I actually found a 30+ year old bike with a weak spark due to a bad high tension coil.

Just tell the seller that a weak spark = weak sale price...

You can find some info about the ignitions on the TC beta forum. I would check the plug, high tension wires and boot as a start. Years ago, I bought a mint Honda nighthawk 700s for cheap that ran rough and it was just a bad plug wire connection...I had a buddy who was a honda service manager at a large shop and when I asked him about the electrics on the bike (before I went to check it out) he just laughed and told me NOTHING MAJOR on those bikes EVER fails and he hates them cause he doesnt make any service money on them. (I later found out the valve guide seals leaked - but that wasnt any big deal)

You can get the stators rewound if needed. It just time and money...? You may want to pop the Water Pump cover off and check it for corrosion as well. Other than that, they are nice solid starter bikes.

I am currently dealing with no spark on my 06 Beta. The TTC has it and is working out the problem. The fly wheel was dirty inside but once cleaned did not fix it. Tried a new coil and did not fix it. It looks to be either stator or cdi control box. It was running great and then suddenly died on the loop, between sections during the latest STRA event which sucked. I will post the final solution to mine once Charlie is able to figure it out.

I am currently dealing with no spark on my 06 Beta. The TTC has it and is working out the problem. The fly wheel was dirty inside but once cleaned did not fix it. Tried a new coil and did not fix it. It looks to be either stator or cdi control box. It was running great and then suddenly died on the loop, between sections during the latest STRA event which sucked. I will post the final solution to mine once Charlie is able to figure it out.

I would bet money that it's the cdi pick up.

I have to ask, what are the symptoms of a weak spark? Is the bike running bad? Does the spark just look small on the plug when you check it? I know on a Sherco that even with everything working fine the spark isn't very bright and can be hard to see in the day light.

When I wrote about the cdi pick up I was thinking about my old 2000 rev-3. It had 2 pick ups-a low and a high speed. The hi speed went out and wouldn't rev much past idle. But it was more of an irradic spark than weak.

• 4 weeks later...