Sign in to follow this  

Gaskets?

Hey boys... Got a quick question for you.

I'm about to FINALLY get around to my 7500 mile valve adjustment and tightening up my NSU this Saturday.

I ordered the feeler gauges, valve adjustment tool, some new spark plugs, and some new valve cover o-rings from procycle.

Anything I left out that I should get for these jobs?

What gaskets will I need to replace and where do y'all recommend getting them?

Thanks a ton.

Hey boys... Got a quick question for you.

I'm about to FINALLY get around to my 7500 mile valve adjustment and tightening up my NSU this Saturday.

I ordered the feeler gauges, valve adjustment tool, some new spark plugs, and some new valve cover o-rings from procycle.

Anything I left out that I should get for these jobs?

What gaskets will I need to replace and where do y'all recommend getting them?

Thanks a ton.

Yeah, since you will be removing the clutch cover to get to the NSU you will want to have a clutch cover gasket on hand as well. Make sure to check/tighten the crankshaft nut that holds the primary gear in place as well while you are in there... I've seen a few posts of these coming loose...

Dumb question for sure... but none needed for the valve adjustment?

Nope just the O-rings.... :thumbsup: Hopefully your crank access plug comes out without issue... the best thing to do is break it loose when the engine is hot the day before you do the valve adjustment. Then it will come right out when the engine is cold. Don't over-tighten the plug putting it back in. The O-ring does the sealing not 2000 ftlbs of torque. :confused:

That is priceless advice on the crank access plug - well not really priceless - just the "cost" of looking at the mangled plug forever and needing to use the wheel to turn it to TDC every time you do the valves, if you try to do it cold when the bike is 5 years old

Well I am heading out for a nice ride home in the pouring rain :thumbsup:

Nope just the O-rings.... :thumbsup: Hopefully your crank access plug comes out without issue... the best thing to do is break it loose when the engine is hot the day before you do the valve adjustment. Then it will come right out when the engine is cold. Don't over-tighten the plug putting it back in. The O-ring does the sealing not 2000 ftlbs of torque. :confused:

Hey... Speak for your own DR!! ;-)

On a serious note, thank you so much for your help.