Sign in to follow this  

Can you get away with just a fork revalve on an 09?

Well I've searched and searched and can't find what I am looking for.

I have an 09 450r. I weigh in at 180 no gear. So 200-205 with gear on. I'm a 30+ intermediate mx rider. Have the pro circuit link on the rear 101mm sag and KYB .48 springs front with 350cc 5wt oil. Liked the bike until I raced this weekend and took a beating from the forks from the amount and size of the breaking bumps on the track. My local track stays pretty smooth so I had not experienced this much roughness on this bike yet. My 08 was fully revalved and soaked up all the chop.

Has anyone just revalved the forks and left the shock stock? I feel the shock works well for my weight and ability. I can save 200 bucks by not revalving the shock than I will.

Thanks

Are you saying the .48kg are too heavy? Reason I ask is I'm 173 naked, 35 yrs old C+ rider and have going back and fourth on going up to .48's or just doing a valve job. With our weight, we are right on the fence.

I don't think the springs are too heavy at all. I believe the midstroke valving is too light causing the front end to pack under braking. Causing my arms to feel all the bumps and in turn causing more rider fatigue. The heavier springs kept the front end up in the stroke fairly well. I slowed the rebound down and that helped. I'm at 5 clicks from full stiff compression on the front and it feels worse if I go out further. Im going to experiment a little bit today. But if I don't like the results the forks are getting revalved.

If you like the rear leave it alone. Once you ride it with the forks done you may find that you don't like something about the rear shock but at least then you will know what to tell them that you don't like about it. If you tell the guy that you love it as is he wont have a clue what to do for you.

Joe

Have you tryed more sag , say 103 to 105. That will take so weight of the forks , and make them a little feel softer.

Joe, I was at a track in north/central CA called the oatfield its run by AMP/GFI racing look it up its epic.. The dirt there is awesome and they rip the track deep and its a fast track. So it creates some pretty big braking bumps and if youre going fast enough itll beat you up. Still had some good battles over the weekend.

After talking to my suspension guy, im going to go ahead and get the forks revalved for now and if i feel the shock needs work afterwards then itll get the treatment on it as well. I figured i would have it done anyway. My last 4 bikes have been revalved/resprung so i should have just expected it.

Valveing the front alone might help , but I would definitely do both front and rear at the same time... The stock valving in my 09 felt like garbage... It was a night and day difference once I did get them revlaved...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Joe, I was at a track in north/central CA called the oatfield its run by AMP/GFI racing look it up its epic.. The dirt there is awesome and they rip the track deep and its a fast track. So it creates some pretty big braking bumps and if youre going fast enough itll beat you up. Still had some good battles over the weekend.

After talking to my suspension guy, im going to go ahead and get the forks revalved for now and if i feel the shock needs work afterwards then itll get the treatment on it as well. I figured i would have it done anyway. My last 4 bikes have been revalved/resprung so i should have just expected it.

Hey, I was there too on my '09, and it did get pretty rough! Try 110 sag, and add 20 cc's oil to each fork leg. This will help balance the bike a bit, and more resistance to bottoming. If this does not fix it, FC knows how to dial in this bike. I haven't gone 3 clicks either way from any setting since they did my suspension! Matt23s