Good deal? 2009 YZ450F

I have an opportunity to buy a 2009 YZ450F for $4000. It is the white version with black rims. It has been meticulously maintained (owned by a certified mechanic) and is clean as a whistle. It has a few minor mods but is mostly stock. The hour meter shows <15 hours.

Is this as good a deal as I think it is?

Also, I'm a fairly novice rider - maybe light intermediate. I've had a bike before but never done any hard riding (i.e. racing) and don't really intend to push it too hard on this one. It will mostly be for trail riding. My buddy is trying to tell me it's too much bike for me but I feel like there's no harm in having more power than you use. What do you think? Is this a good bike for me or should I stick with a 250? BTW, I'm 5'10, 210 lbs.

It sounds like a fair price to me, not a smoking deal, but fair. I guess it's difficult for me to overlook the fact that there were several places selling brand new ones for that price right about when the 2010's came out. As it turns out, I personally would rather have an 09 than a newer one due to lighter weight, better looks, and no fuel injection, but that's just me. If it has the stock exhaust on it, the power should not be overwhelming to you.

i have alwasy been a firm believer of more power and bang is never bad. finding that happy medium for some people is perfect. but its nice to have a bike that you will be satisfied with as time progresses. as long as you can ride a bike with confidence id say this would be a really nice bike for you. as far as the price i wouldnt know. i bought a 02 yz426 last year for 1700 so it sounds like a good deal to me.

Look at the "retail" value and "trade in" value and meet in the middle. I find this works out to be fair for both involved and especially for you if the bike is in mint condition. I picked up the same bike last year with the same hours for $3,800. I can't say enough good things about this bike!

I recently just bought a really clean 09 yz450f with only a few hours on it it's a really fun bike track trail or dune. I would try to get it a little cheaper for sure $4000 is about an average price I got mine for $2700

I have an opportunity to buy a 2009 YZ450F for $4000. It is the white version with black rims. It has been meticulously maintained (owned by a certified mechanic) and is clean as a whistle. It has a few minor mods but is mostly stock. The hour meter shows <15 hours.

Is this as good a deal as I think it is?

Also, I'm a fairly novice rider - maybe light intermediate. I've had a bike before but never done any hard riding (i.e. racing) and don't really intend to push it too hard on this one. It will mostly be for trail riding. My buddy is trying to tell me it's too much bike for me but I feel like there's no harm in having more power than you use. What do you think? Is this a good bike for me or should I stick with a 250? BTW, I'm 5'10, 210 lbs.

Picked up a similar deal in Feb of this year for $3200

If I were looking for a 2009 Yamaha, I don't think I would pay more than $3500, unless it was brand new. I've seen new 2009 Yamahas go for $4200-$4500 out the door in the past year.

What dealer? I have cash in hand lol 09's are still in the 5400-6100 range OTD at all the dealers in AZ

Edited by Hooch33

Yup the lowest OTD price on an 09 I culd find was from a dealer shipped from Michigan to my house for $5400. I get a discount at the shops in phx, mesa, tempe, chandler, gilbert, aj, everywhere the lowest dealer price I could get was $5700 for an 09 3 weeks ago out of all the delaerships metro.

Edited by Hooch33

I tend to take prices that guys put up on forums with a grain of salt. Bragging right don't come with saying you overpaid for a bike. Just saying. $4K for an 09 that truly has low hours seems like a good deal and I'm betting the seller won't have any trouble getting that for it.

I tend to take prices that guys put up on forums with a grain of salt. Bragging right don't come with saying you overpaid for a bike. Just saying. $4K for an 09 that truly has low hours seems like a good deal and I'm betting the seller won't have any trouble getting that for it.

So true. I agree about the dudes on here. The thing is, some dealers were selling them for that price, but now Yamaha doesn't offer the dealer as much in rebates. Our dealership was selling 09's for 4499 last Sept till about end of December. Now they are 5499. So I think that is why there is a discrepancy. Also more rebates in different area of the country. Go to the Yamaha website and look for Rebates. Some times you have to type in your state because of this. At this time it doesn't seem to be an option though.

I think the days of real cheap brand new dirt bikes will end very soon. They aren't making nearly as many as back in 06 and all.

What that means then is that, due to the economy, fewer people are buying new bikes, and hanging onto their older bikes longer. This reduces the supply of used bikes, and drives up prices for used bike. Prices were artificially depressed because of oversupply of deeply discounted new bikes, but as that supply runs out used prices are going up.

At least that seems reasonable to me...

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up getting the bike - paid $3800 (real dollars - not imaginary forum dollars) and I'm very happy with the deal. Have yet to get it out and do any real riding but I'm looking forward to it!

flwildcat....I think $3,800 is a very good deal for a super clean low hour '09YZ450F (at least based on what I see in Colorado). I bought a very clean, low hour '08 YZ450 this past January for $3,400 and felt the price was fair. Of course, I wanted to get him to $3200.

I had a buddy remind me (when I was debating over whether to pay him the $200 higher than what I wanted) of how much bike you get for the money these days. For example, back in 1988 or 89, I bought a very lightly used 86 Honda CR250R for $2,500. I thought it was a pretty good deal at the time and I still own it and it still runs great. 22 years later I can purchase an even more technologically advanced bike with much better suspension and braking (albeit a 4 stroke motor) for just $900 more.

Looking at the CPI index from 1989 to 2010, general prices have risen from 124.0 to 218.1 or nearly a 76% increase in price. But the price I paid for even better technology was only 36% higher than what I paid in 1989. So, used motorcycle prices have actually declined when compared to the rise in prices of other goods.

well...at least that's the story I used on my wife when i decided to buy the new bike. She just shook her head and walked away.