Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading from a 150F to 230F?

Anyone ever made that upgrade?

I know top speed is only like 10mph difference if that, and the extra gear, but what else is there? is it even worth doing?

I would just love to have the bigger tires that the crf230 has, the power of the 150 is enough for me.

150Ron,

1st off...you'll have to change your username to 230Ron. :thumbsup:

Seriously though...I ride an '05 CRF230F and I bought my oldest son an '06 CRF150F. Size wise the 230 seems much larger to sit on and ride. I'm 5'10" and the 150 is uncomfortable and cramped for me to ride it. The 230 is a little faster through the gears and has a fair amount more top end. I also like the feel of the 230 more. I think it's because they're kinda close in weight, but when it's spread out more on a bigger bike (230) it just feels better.

The 230 has a 6 speed tranny, too.

They both are pretty corked up with the same crappy suspension though.

I think you would really like the 230.

Team Honda

Yes, I went from a 2006 150F to a 2008 230F. I was a complete noob back then. What I remember most was that on the 150F I couldn't wheelie to save my life (complete noob), then I went to the 230F and the easy wheelies scared me (complete noob). :confused:

Now I am racing the 230 and I love it. Plenty of power after uncorking, and suspension like you wouldn't believe with RT emulators and Hlebo Bros shock rebuild. :thumbsup:

I have both a CRF150 and a CRF230 (but never upgraded my name, lol). Let's see with the 230 you get....more power, better suspension, more nimble feeling (IMO), bigger tires that go over obstacles better (and easier on the body combined with better suspension), and higher seat height (not a big plus for me though). I gained an electric start -- can't remember if newer 150s have them, mine is an '03 and does not.

I'm primarily a trail rider and I found I could ride faster with a lot less fatigue. Since we can rack up 50-70miles in a day (my husband is insane), fatigue can be a big issue with me. My husband and I are more equal (in relative terms) now that I'm on a bigger bike (he's on a CR250) and I can go a pace that is more acceptable to him and his 2-stroke bike.

My husband wanted me to get the 230 back in 2003, but I resisted since I was previously on an XR100 and was very inexperienced. It took me until 2008 to upgrade, but I absolutely loved it when I did.

You guys and gals are the best, so basically... start figuring out a way i can get a 230 without the wife freaking out, lol

the 150 was my first bike ever, but now that ive been riding for like a month and a half, i wish id gotten something bigger.

thanks guys, guess ill put the 150 up for sale, and if that sells, i will get a 230 for sure.

The biggest problem i see is.. The name change will be needed for sure, lol

No need to change your name ron. I have a complete set of 230 forks with BBR top triple (for fat bars) and front and rear wheel available. All near perfect condition. Even have a brand spanking new Maxxis rear tire. Pick up a 230 swing arm on ebay and a front tire and bolt it on.

ST O.D.

Ron, keep the 150 and get your wife riding! I never threw a leg over a bike until I was in my 30s and have NO natural talent.....so if I can do it, anybody can.

They're few and far between, but I bought my 230 used on eBay and got a fantastic deal on it. It's a 2006 that the previous owner bought new in 2007. He said it maybe had 10hrs on it (and we believe him) when he sold it to me in early 2008. It didn't even run smooth yet because it wasn't broken in! AND it was only 3hrs away. Worth taking a look if you're serious about buying one.

I have never riden a 230, but I have heard their a great step up. I do have a modded 150F that we added one tooth to the rear sprocket, full DR. D exhaust, opened the air box and rejetted. Those few mods along with a full CR85 suspension made it a whole different animal. I do want to get a 230 once my wife and daughter get comfortable on it, I think my CRF250X (now a 280 is to much for them at this point.

ETA, I have been thinking of getting a 150R and making it into a trail bike, I know it's doable as a friend of mine has done it, and to be honest it's a kick in the @$$.

Edited by mstennes

Thanks for all the info guys, i put my 150f up for sale, if it sells ill get a 230, dont really want to sell it thol, lol

CRF150woman, my wife is not the outdoorsy type lets just say, lol

150Ron,

I don't if/how many mods you have on your 150, but some will bolt right up to your future 230. If you have any you might want to look into whether they'll fit on a 230. And if they do I'd think about pulling them off and put 'em on your 230.

Just a thought.

TH

150Ron,

I don't if/how many mods you have on your 150, but some will bolt right up to your future 230. If you have any you might want to look into whether they'll fit on a 230. And if they do I'd think about pulling them off and put 'em on your 230.

Just a thought.

TH

honda crf150f 2006, electric start, low miles

I put it up for sale with the following for $2,500

carb rejetted, to 114 main and i think a 42 pilot.

air box mod done, (snorkel removed, and holes drilled)

exhaust uncorked

new UNI air filter

New Trail Tech Vapor computer, with Billet mount

new white handguards

new battery

green stickered, registered till 2012, pink slip in hand

with this pic

t5.jpg

and thats about it,

i kinda dont want it to sell, cause i really like it, that is why i priced it a bit higher then the rest, cause if i have to lose my ass on it, i'll just keep it.

Anyone ever made that upgrade?

I know top speed is only like 10mph difference if that, and the extra gear, but what else is there? is it even worth doing?

I would just love to have the bigger tires that the crf230 has, the power of the 150 is enough for me.

dont screw around with getting a 230 just cut to the chase and get a 250 or cr 125

dont screw around with getting a 230 just cut to the chase and get a 250 or cr 125

Only if you like to wrench a lot more than you do now. :thumbsup:

Only if you like to wrench a lot more than you do now. :thumbsup:
thats truee.. but a 250r wont have much trouble.. just as much as if you get a bad 230.. they are out there:thumbsup:

thats truee.. but a 250r wont have much trouble.. just as much as if you get a bad 230.. they are out there:thumbsup:

I keep seeing a lot of threads about valves on the high strung Honda liquid cooled four strokes. I hardly ever see a thread about that on the CRF230F's.

Not arguein', just sayin'.

TH

i havent heard much about valves only on here and a few people i knows got em but i guess it depends how hard yah rides

Far from true. Honda racing 4 stroke motors are not even close to the reliability of a 150/230. I guess that can go for any brand of racing 4 stroke.

If you wanna talk 250. Get a 250 two stroke.

where are you in cali Ron? If your close you can take my 230 for a ride and see if you like them...