Kick Stand is no more

Hey all. Today when I kicked the stand back up the weld broke loose. Just kinda wondering if it has happened to anyone else and is yes then what did you do to fix it? Can I take to someone to weld it back on with the bike still assembled. Is there another type of kick stand that I can put on it that will work? I need to for parking as it is street legal other wise it wouldn't matter. Thanks everyone for the help with the not starting problem.

Hey all. Today when I kicked the stand back up the weld broke loose. Just kinda wondering if it has happened to anyone else and is yes then what did you do to fix it? Can I take to someone to weld it back on with the bike still assembled. Is there another type of kick stand that I can put on it that will work? I need to for parking as it is street legal other wise it wouldn't matter. Thanks everyone for the help with the not starting problem.

You should be able to have the kickstand welded back on, with the bike assembled, without any problem. Are you by chance trying to start it with the bike on it's stand while standing on the pegs? This puts a lot of stress on the kickstand and it will eventually buckle or break. It's just a suggestion, in case that's what you've been doing.

just happened to me a few weeks back. it was just the pin where the top hook of the spring latches on that broke off. i got a guy to weld on a washer, thats all it needed, and back in business. if you do that, maybe get a washer that is rust resistant

Just like 75 said, get it welded back on. The foot of the stand should be flat on the ground slightly forward but under the foot peg looking straight down threw the outside hole of the peg. Tack weld and check it then weld front and back.

Don't stand on the pegs and kick stand to start the bike, it's an xr weak point.

Take the tank off and drain all the gas out of the carb, lay it over so the welder can be comfortable and make a good weld on both sides.

Just like 75 said, get it welded back on. The foot of the stand should be flat on the ground slightly forward but under the foot peg looking straight down threw the outside hole of the peg. Tack weld and check it then weld front and back.

Don't stand on the pegs and kick stand to start the bike, it's an xr weak point.

Take the tank off and drain all the gas out of the carb, lay it over so the welder can be comfortable and make a good weld on both sides.

YES, take the gas tank off and make sure all the gas has leaked out of the carb..... long story short- my bike caught on fire due to not taking these precautions. Quite a scene.

I do not stand on it with the kick stand down. I actually don't like to do any work at all to the bike with the stand down, I have a wooden stand for that.

Welding is what I figured but what is worrying me is the electrical system. There are so many amps going through the weld metal that it might fry the whole system. Is that a factor at all or no? As long as it is properly grounded should it be alright?

Non issue ,weld away ! Don't use a stick welder or a cheap 110 wire feed , get someone that has a gas shielded ,best weld.

The real cause is that the XR frames are notorius for rusting around the area where the kich stand is. I would bet your frame is rusted inside to the point that the tubing is decayed over a pretty large area. Just pick around the hole where the weld was and you'll see what I mean. Let us know what you find.

So should I pull it the rest of the way off and take it someone that can weld? I suck at welding and only used a stick. Did mig one time and it was a ton easier but what can ya do I suppose. Got a friend with a TIG that can actually weld so might see if he can do it if that type will hold up. It did rust but didn't seem to extensive actually, just on the side that the chain is on. I'll get in there after my final tonight and check it out.