Sign in to follow this  

Wider tire sizes for s model

Hello i am currently running dunlop 606 120/90/18 tires on my drz 400s, i was wondering was size i want to go with to go a little wider but no taller of a tire? thanks.

are you wanting to stay with 606's?

if so, i don't think they make one that is wider, but not taller.

they do make a 130/90/18, but that will be slightly taller (as the sidewall is 90% of 130mm instead of 90% of 120mm...so, 117mm instead of 108mm).

if they made a 130/80/18, it would be wider but not taller (actually would have a 4mm shorter sidewall), but i don't think they do.

in theory, you could get a different make of tire in 130/80/18, but the measurements are not always the same from one manufacturer to the next anyway.

140/80-18 should be pretty close

-a 120/90 has a 108mm tall sidewall

-a 140/80 has a 112mm tall sidewall

Not much of a difference, so it's what I have been running on my DRZ for years now, in various models (Pirelli XCMH is my current favorite).

thanks alot for the replys, yes i would like to stay with the 606's, but wouldn't mind going with a slightly more dirt oriented tire, without sacrificing too much more tire wear on the pavement. If they make such a tire. fttam - the Pirelli XCMH looks like something i'd be interested, how do they hold up on the pavement compared to the d606?

The XCMH is a fantastic tire but it won't last as long as the D606. Works better, though.

^ This :thumbsup:

Thanks, I think i will stick with the 606's. I'm on my 6th one now and was just thinking of changing it up.

The XCMH is a fantastic tire but it won't last as long as the D606. Works better, though.

I have a set of the XCMH tires on order for my trip to Utah and Colorado next month.

I see you run them and like them...my question is fit on the rear.....do you run the 120/100-18?

I know it "should" fit no problem......but sometimes sizes "vary" from company to company.

I appreciate your feed back.

Don

Edited by SloDon

My 606 130 performs pretty wel lup to 70mph..Last year I got a flat and rode 10 mikes on my flat d606 all the way home Can do 80 but get squerrelly ....thanks Tom

PS- I had a set of excell rims with street tires on my S and prefer the 606's

Really depends on what you want it for... if you go wider tyres you need to consider your wheel rims and whether they can practically accommodate it. There isn't much point going wider if you have to inflate the tyres more to avoid pinching.

Are you doing more downhill riding?

Stock rims can easily accomodate a 140....mine has for many years.

The 120 should turn easier, but for the riding that I do in the northeast, the wider 140 footprint seems to help me out tremendously in the deep muck and mud of the swamps while still managing the roots and shale of the drier singletrack.

Stock rims can easily accomodate a 140....mine has for many years.

The 120 should turn easier, but for the riding that I do in the northeast, the wider 140 footprint seems to help me out tremendously in the deep muck and mud of the swamps while still managing the roots and shale of the drier singletrack.

Right, this is why I'm probably going to go with the 130. The trails I ride aren't that bad, but there are spots on them where you have to jump off usually into nasty swamps where the wider tire would help.

I haven't bought new tires yet for a dirtbike. Does anyone know what the demensions of the stock rims are? Will I need new tubes switching from stock trailwings to D606's? Or is all I have to do is slap the new tires on?

Pirelli MT43 on the rear all the way.

Hard wearing on the road and as long as you drop the pressures off road I haven't had any problems off roading.

One of the best "mods" I've done to my bike.

Pirelli MT43 on the rear all the way.

Hard wearing on the road and as long as you drop the pressures off road I haven't had any problems off roading.

One of the best "mods" I've done to my bike.

I was thinking of going with the MT43 for the rear. How were they on the mud? Which size did you get?

Only 1 size available for the rear 4.00-18. Good in the mud.