A possible Civil Disobedience action at JV?

California

There is a post over in the land use forum and since only a few ever read there I'm making a post here.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=979505

It references a thread over a D37.

Not really bikes involved, but it is an interesting idea. I have a feeling that things could get ugly though.

Carl since only 200 off-roaders, land owners and horse people combined at best ever show up for the strategy meetings why do we need to protest... have we really earned the moral right to do so ? When we have a time and place and advanced notice to discuss the matter our people typically stay home. Again... what exactly are people protesting if they won't come and talk when asked to do so ?

I used to think this way... ranting online as if that ever got anything done ! Just last year I wanted to run a caravan through Cal City till I pulled my head out of my asteroid... and decided to get educated about what is REALLY GOING ON. I got involved. I mean really INVOLVED... in person, face to face, and focused my energy in a positive way with an Agency. In my case, the SBNF was my choice just because they were closest to my home (2hrs from HB). One year later, I have the support of all levels of management at ONE Agency and even have FOJ fencer & leader Ed Waldheim helping me GET TRAILS OPENED & GREEN STICKER FUNDS to pay for it instead of more enhanced law enforcement and fencing !

Positive, consistent, face to face, persistent focus works. Maybe my methods won't git-r-done in JV. But before mass-civil disobedience, shouldn't people at least show up at the scheduled meetings and promote their views as responsible citizens !

The Colonies didn't go to war with England without first a massive effort to negotiate fair representation. Going to war was and should always be the LAST resort. I think on the Internet we tend to jump ahead with overstated analogies rather than getting off our asteroids and doing the real work that is needed... you know... like having a conversation. If people I know that are heavily involved in the JV negotiation ultimately promote the civil disobedeance approach I'll be the first in line. I'm just thinking at this point after reading the D37 thread that it sounds funny coming from a group that supported the previously negotiated giveaway... didn't they ? Wasn't CORVA the only to resist... or am I mistaken ?

Just one guys opinion... and still willing to be educated. :thumbsup:

PS - I'm sure I'll see you at upcoming JV events and efforts as my wife and I just bought property situated between Johnson Valley & Stoddard. We will be moving there Jun so it will make it a lot easier for me to get involved in the JV issue as well.

~Jeff aka BOLT

Edited by BOLT Performance
have we really earned the moral right to do so ? When we have a time and place and advanced notice to discuss the matter our people typically stay home. Again... what exactly are people protesting if they won't come and talk when asked to do so ?

But before mass-civil disobedience, shouldn't people at least show up at the scheduled meetings and promote their views as responsible citizens !

When the the respective agencies give enough notice, schedule at a time when people can attend, and make the meeting less than 150 miles from downtown, I suspect you'll get more attendance.

First, there's a very specific reason that they DON'T make it easy to attend. I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. They don't really want public interference in their agenda(s). If I was doing their job, I'd probably feel the same way.

Second, when they DO get public attendance, letters, emails, calls, etc., they tend to go unheeded, and the BLM/USFS/et al seem to do whatever they were going to do anyway. Why? I don't know. I'm sure you can tell us Jeff. You seem to be the expert. Have at it. We don't all have the free time that YOU seem to have.

If the public's views were gratefully accepted and acted on - remember the public SERVANT thing? - I'd suspect you'd be seeing a lot more public involvement. When public views are ignored, I think you'll start seeing a lot more civil disobedience, but that's just my opinion...... Take it as my $.02. Let 'em have their CD party if they want to. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bill_P

BP - we were getting off topic... sent you PM

Good idea in theory, but as Carl said, the general population would probably take hindering anything military the wrong way. The average Joe in Alabama, or even in California doesn't understand the situation, and probably doesn't want to understand. A rally in downtown Los Angeles would get more press coverage, but good luck on that, it's almost impossible just to get people to email a petition from the comfort of their home. The "someone else will do it" mindset.

Just the same, perhaps posting on other off road oriented sites might be a start, anyone here a member of Pirate 4X4 or ???