air filter question

okay so i soaked my air filter in diesel fuel and got rid of all the residue and gunk that was stuck in it and washed it with dish soap. then kept it outside to dry for a couple days, now i was getting ready to re-oil it and searched the forum for techniques in doing so and realized most people used foam air filters that you can oil in plastic bags. mine looks like this:

img0036zc.jpg

img0037wyx.jpg

it doesnt have a brand written on it, and i guess its not the original honda air filter. i was wondering if anyone uses a similar filter or knows anything about it. is it a good filter, or should i get one of those foam ones everyone uses? what should i do about re-oiling it evenly, and how thick should the oil be? someone suggested 30wt but would that be too thick for an air filter that already has really thick walls?

btw i created that seal in the first pic to mount flush against the air box wall. i applied silicone around oval, then pressed it against a glass surface which i heavily lubricated with wd40 to prevent sticked, and moved it around in a circular motion so the seal and left it to dry, so the seal is pretty even, i think it will work good

btw i created that seal in the first pic to mount flush against the air box wall. i applied silicone around oval, then pressed it against a glass surface which i heavily lubricated with wd40 to prevent sticked, and moved it around in a circular motion so the seal and left it to dry, so the seal is pretty even, i think it will work good

I will never use a filter like that which looks almost like a K & N in any bike that will see any amount of dust, unless you like rebuilds, as for oiling try to do your best if you do use that setup.

Get some spray on filter oil. Make sure you spray each pleat on the filter. If you only ride street they are fine but like most I don't trust paper gauze filters for off road. Hold it up to a light and inspect it real good for holes or tears also. If you find any at all, get a foam filter pronto! :thumbsup:

there is in fact one small tiny tear in the filter but didnt think it was significant enough to replace the whole filter. okay ill get a new one, hopefully today

there is in fact one small tiny tear in the filter

Throw it away and get a UNI or Twin Air.

It only takes a few grains of sand to cause major problems. All the way from the carb to the valves and top end.

Good advice in above posts! The air filter, oil change and valve adjustments are the life of an XR.

Get a Uni or Twin Air (make sure you get the cage). It will make your life MUCH better.

Good luck.

I question how much damage a few grains of sand actually does to the engine. Every single bike I have seen gets at least a little bit of sand in the carb. I haven't seen a filter yet that stops all the sand, it seems like some always gets through. Pisses me off though, I even grease the edges on my UNI and there is always like one or two grains of sand in my carb when I pull the bowl off:banghead: I have heard that most of the time a sand grain or other object just gets blown right out the exhaust valve. I could see on a rare occasion that a grain may get caught by the rings and do some damage though. What are your guys thoughts?????????????

thanks for the help boys. i went around to every motorcycle shop i know, not a single one carries ANY type of air filter for the xr. they never have anything, every part ive installed came from the US. my only option now it to order an original from the dealership and wait three weeks.

i checked with one more place and they said they can get me the k&n filter for ... $79!!! and he wants two weeks. what do you guys think of that?

i checked with one more place and they said they can get me the k&n filter for ... $79!!! and he wants two weeks. what do you guys think of that?

The K&N is not the best filter, particularly in dry dusty conditions, it will allow fine particulates to go through.

Get a foam filter if you can. UNI, Twin Air, Moose, No-Toil or similar. Much easier to clean and maintain plus they filter better and are cheaper (in the US anyway). If a K&N is all that's available to you, get a pre-filter or filter skin to go along with it if you can. Try and tape over the torn pleat if you still want to ride for now. Air and dirt will follow the path of least resistance. If there is a small tear, it will want to suck air (and dirt) through there before anywhere else on the filter.

In regards to my "few grains" comment. Maybe that's a little overboard. A few grains once or twice during the life of your motor won't do much of anything (maybe plug a pilot jet). But, a small tear that allows a somewhat steady diet of dust will kill your motor much faster than just normal wear and tear. Most of the time dirt in the carb bowl comes from your gas tank and stays in the bowl. If dirt gets past your filter, it blows directly into the top end and that's much worse. It's like a sand blaster on the internals then. Better safe than sorry IMO.

order one from Honda and wait.

michigan,

i will put some duct tape over the tear. thanks for all ur input.

ok guys i almost forgot about ebay. there is this uni filter for 26 bucks that can ship for as low as 13 bucks to lebanon: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-XR250R-XR400R-XR600R-XR400-XR600-UNI-AIR-FILTER-/140540173628?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b8d8dd3c

but i dont think it includes a cage, and i cant find any other cages on ebay. then there is this twin air air filter for 43 bucks, and it includes a cage: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Twin-Air-Filter-Honda-Super-XR250-97-04-/250118590259?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a3c3acf33

what do you gusy think? and why cant i find a cage for the uni?!?!

I have bought several UNIs for XRs, they all came with a cage, didn't know you could get one without.

I have bought several UNIs for XRs, they all came with a cage, didn't know you could get one without.

did it come packaged like the one in the ebay listing? was it about the same price? do you think this uni comes with a cage then?

did it come packaged like the one in the ebay listing? was it about the same price? do you think this uni comes with a cage then?

The part # listed is the same as the ones that I have bought which included the cage. However, the EBay listing does not state that there is a cage included. Don't know what to tell you.

The part # listed is the same as the ones that I have bought which included the cage. However, the EBay listing does not state that there is a cage included. Don't know what to tell you.

hm. okay. well i did a little forum searching and it seems that uni filter cages are actually installed under the foam? so it doesnt really appear until you fiddle with it and remove it from under the foam. at least thats what it says here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126179

that may be the case... what does your uni filter look like, does it have a plastic cover around it, or is it built in?

that may be the case... what does your uni filter look like, does it have a plastic cover around it, or is it built in?

On the ones I have bought, the foam filter is installed over the plastic cage.