Sign in to follow this  

Riding ban may be lifted on 43 million acres

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?id=2745433

Riding ban may be lifted on 43 million acres

Powersports Business

Tuesday May 3, 2011

U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), joined by other lawmakers, has introduced a bill to free up almost 43 million acres of public land that now may be off-limits to off-highway riding, the American Motorcyclist Association reported.

Powerful lawmakers supporting the measure include Rep. Rob Bishop (R-Utah), chairman of the House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, and Rep. Steve Pearce (R-N.M.), chairman of the Congressional Western Caucus.

“Millions of acres of land across the United States are being held under lock and key unnecessarily,” McCarthy told the AMA. “My bill acts on recommendations made by the government agencies managing these lands so they are opened up for increased public use. This is just common sense.

“By opening these lands up to residents of our local communities and across the country for their use and enjoyment, we can help create jobs, boost local economies and reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires.”

maybe i just missed it but i didnt see anything in the article about where the 43 million acres are. any idea where these locations are?

maybe i just missed it but i didnt see anything in the article about where the 43 million acres are. any idea where these locations are?

It is pretty broad, releases all land being held as 'study for wilderness' that is not yet made into wilderness.

Here is the bill text, hopefully the link works:

HR1581

Bryan, any chance this could be featured as a sticky or header on some of the other forums for members who don't frequent Land Use/Legislation so it doesn't drop down the queue?

Bruce

Edited by BDM

Sign in to follow this