Should I buy this KDX?

Hey fellas,

I've been researching for weeks and decided the kdx is the bike for me.

I'm 6'4 210 lbs. beginner rider. mostly trails and some intermediate mx track just for kicks.

My question is should I buy this one: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2348440148.html

I like all the after market goodies, especially the suspension, risers (I am 6'4) and the gnarly pipe.

I don't know much about these bikes but my only concern is that its a 93. That seems real old to me. What do you guys think?

I'm not in a hurry so I can wait for something else if this one isn't right. Problem is they are very hard to find in California.

Hey fellas,

I've been researching for weeks and decided the kdx is the bike for me.

I'm 6'4 210 lbs. beginner rider. mostly trails and some intermediate mx track just for kicks.

My question is should I buy this one: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2348440148.html

I like all the after market goodies, especially the suspension, risers (I am 6'4) and the gnarly pipe.

I don't know much about these bikes but my only concern is that its a 93. That seems real old to me. What do you guys think?

I'm not in a hurry so I can wait for something else if this one isn't right. Problem is they are very hard to find in California.

that appears to be one clean, good looking 93. having said that i would hold out for a 95+ kdx, especially for $1300. they had a major redesign in 95 and never changed again(meaning all the parts are interchangable from 95 to 2006), they are a little more modern than the 89-94. if you do purchase that 93, i would not pay $1300 for it, at least not around here in AZ. i got my 98' 200 in great shape for $1100, and my 99' 220 for $900 in even better shape.

The KDX200 is a wonderful bike. However, it may be a bit small for you. Is there a KDX220 around?

I agree with 'hi-im sean' wait for a 95-06 that model is based on the kx 125 frame and motor, the motor is stronger and the frame is better balanced, and slimmer,

This is for hi-im sean, hows the pipe doing for your bike?? the woods pipe that i got from you is just what i needed for eastern riding, thanks again...........

The KDX200 is a wonderful bike. However, it may be a bit small for you. Is there a KDX220 around?

I've thought about that, I may have to get a tall seat and bar risers with the kdx200. Does the KDX220 have a larger frame?

that appears to be one clean, good looking 93. having said that i would hold out for a 95+ kdx, especially for $1300. they had a major redesign in 95 and never changed again(meaning all the parts are interchangable from 95 to 2006), they are a little more modern than the 89-94. if you do purchase that 93, i would not pay $1300 for it, at least not around here in AZ. i got my 98' 200 in great shape for $1100, and my 99' 220 for $900 in even better shape.

you yanks have great deals in AZ! thats the price of a good mtn bike up in canada

What are similar condition 1995+ KDX200's and KDX220R's going for?

The 1989 - 1994 KDX200's were also VERY ROUGHLY based on a KX125. So was the 1986 - 1988 KDX200 and even the 1980 - 1982 KDX175, which actually share several parts, unlike any 1983 and newer models. Again, VERY ROUGHLY (except for the KDX175).

The 1989 - 1994 KDX200's are all almost the same besides the switch to USD forks in 1993. The 1995+ KDX200/KDX220R's are all about the same. If you compare technology, it is like comparing a 1989 model to a 1995 model.

This is for hi-im sean, hows the pipe doing for your bike?? the woods pipe that i got from you is just what i needed for eastern riding, thanks again...........

i put it on the 220, tried to tune it once and got busy, ran much better than stock of course, but need to be jetted. just dont have the time! glad yours worked out.

you yanks have great deals in AZ! thats the price of a good mtn bike up in canada

AZ has such a flooded bike market, we are the bikest seller of ohv's next to cali in the US, and with the economy right now...

there were 2 125's, an 04 and an 05 for $1000 each in running shape the other day. im so mad i didnt have $1000

I picked up my 93 KDX200 for $550 with similar stats (mileage, suspension setup, pipe, jetting, etc) about 1.5 months ago.

kdx200front3.jpg

I think I got a GREAT deal, though I think you can do better. That bike looks cleaner then mine, but a heat gun and some sand paper could probably match...plus in the end they all are gonna go down lol. I love this bike btw...work the deal down a bit.

That's a sweet looking bike Zach, especially at $550. Maybe if I can get him down under to $800 or so I go for it. Apparently the 95-06 models are better, but I'm not sure that the 93 is that much of a difference right?

he's got the gearing set at 13/50. What is stock?

That's a sweet looking bike Zach, especially at $550. Maybe if I can get him down under to $800 or so I go for it. Apparently the 95-06 models are better, but I'm not sure that the 93 is that much of a difference right?

quite a big difference, actually

Go for a ride on it and see how it goes. You're the only person who can decide on what bike you purchase.

quite a big difference, actually

Tell us more please...I wanna know what all is better on the newer models as I'm so new to this. Don't like being completely ignorant lol

Starting with the 95's, they made big changes. I have the Dirt Rider magazine that has "spy photos" of the new KDX. They said "new engine, perimiter frame and conventional cartridge forks". I have a 96 and to me it's way different than an older E model, but they are all good. :thumbsup:

I'm also 6'4" and I'm at about 220 pounds right now. In '88 I bought a new '87 KDX200. I had owned a XR250, XR500, PE250 and a few other bikes. The KDX was the best that I had ever had at that time. After all of these years of not owning a bike I have just bought a '98 KDX220 and I'm real excited about riding again. The KDX200 and 220 are not too small for me. I don't think you will have any problems with the size of the bike.

Also, the 20cc's extra for the 220 does not have the effect you would think. The 200 is the quicker bike, the 220 has a lot more bottom end grunt. Don't let that mislead you.

You can look at some pics of the E series vs the H series and get a pretty good idea.