Sign in to follow this  

Questions Re: 08 450EXC - THANKS!

Hey Guys,

I've been wanting to get a plated 450 or 530 EXC for awhile, and an opportunity just came up. A close friend is selling his '08 450EXC.

It's got a Scotts stabilizer, desert tank, Scotts sharkfin & Stainless filters, new seat, new gearing, and a bunch of other bling on it. It's got less than 500 VERIFIABLE miles on it - and I know this to be true cause he's a good buddy of mine.

But here's the deal. I seem to remember that '08 was the first year of the new motor and that there were some "issues" or problems that had to be dealt with. Is this true? Necessary?

I really doubt that this guy has pursued any of that as he's really not been riding since he bought the thing.

He's asking $5500 in So Cal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!! :thumbsup::worthy:

bp

there is one near me for $5800 with 400 miles on it, to me that is a pretty good buy.

Here is a pic of mine that i purchased new, it now has

5483 mostly trail miles. (4 very long endurance races too)

256 hours

the only problems were the rings were replaced after oil consumption became a problem. I just had whole top end done instead at 161 hours. The other problem was the fuel petcock leaked and i shimmed it myself and have had no other issues with the bike.

Here it sits after I raced it for 12 hours and 25 minutes (216.6 miles) only stopping for fuel and a 25 minute nap. I added 2 oz of oil at 6 hours just for insurance. The bike ran flawless and I am really happy i puchased it.:thumbsup: (this race was just last weekend).

12hr2011.jpg

Edited by rolliew

Cool. Love a dirty bike. :thumbsup:

I talked with a local shop that does a TON of KTM's. The main mechanic told me not to buy an '08 - with the first year new engine. He said there is problems with the rings, a problem with the cam, (those can be fixed, but $$) but most importantly, he told me the seal between the tranny and crank is too thin, and KTM immediately changed the cases in the '09's to fix it. Not sure I'm relaying all those correctly, but it's certainly got me thinking second thoughts. Think I may look for an '07 or '09 unless someone can convince me that these issues are not really problems.

Cool. Love a dirty bike. :thumbsup:

I talked with a local shop that does a TON of KTM's. The main mechanic told me not to buy an '08 - with the first year new engine. He said there is problems with the rings, a problem with the cam, (those can be fixed, but $$) but most importantly, he told me the seal between the tranny and crank is too thin, and KTM immediately changed the cases in the '09's to fix it. Not sure I'm relaying all those correctly, but it's certainly got me thinking second thoughts. Think I may look for an '07 or '09 unless someone can convince me that these issues are not really problems.

I can only try to convince you those really ARE problems. They are less of a problem on the 450's (as opposed to the 530) but still a possibility. The cam swap alone runs about $400 at the KTM dealer, The rings are in the $300 area to replace and the seal between the 2 oil chambers is ALOT of $$$ to fix.