Sign in to follow this  

99 KDX 220 opinions

So I'm getting a new bike soon, and I found a 1999 KDX 220. Has an aftermarket tank, other goodies, blah blah... But anyways, what I was wondering is, have they improved much? Like could I ride it than ride a 03 and be like WOW they really made improvements! or have they stayed pretty well the same over the years(I've heard that from a few people). Also, could you say do an enduro or HS on it(and be competitive with it)?

And how's parts availability? Since it is a discontinued model and all..

Thanks

yep' all the 220 are the same, 95-06 200 are the same, yes you can race HS and ENDURO with them as long as you race in that cc class, but you would need to do some hop up mods to really make them come alive............

The KDX220 is the same bike for all year models 97 - 05. Kawi didn’t change a thing. Great bike. Parts are available. It’s a putt putt trail bike. Not really a racer. I’m not sure what the HS racing classes are these days, but the 220 would be in the over 200cc class and be up against 250’s and such. Might not be competitive in that class of racing? Enduro should be a blast!!

Ok, thanks for the info!

What I was also wondering is, what's MPG's look like if it was DS'ed?

Depends on the terrain and who I'm riding with, but on average the stock 3 gallon tank gets me about 100 miles.

Fredette racing is and entire web site devoted to KDX. I just had them re-plate the head on my 200. Awesome guys to talk to on the phone.

Plan to change your piston with a Wiesco if you buy the bike. The stock 220 pistons have a history of cracking and destroying the cylinder.

I bought a 2000 220 a few months ago and am currently in the middle of doing a complete rebuild.

good luck... the are great trail bikes.

Plan to change your piston with a Wiesco if you buy the bike. The stock 220 pistons have a history of cracking and destroying the cylinder.

I bought a 2000 220 a few months ago and am currently in the middle of doing a complete rebuild.

good luck... the are great trail bikes.

this is assuming an 11 year old bike hast had a top end yet. check it first.

mine is and was. :thumbsup:

my 98' 200 had the original slug when i checked it in 09:foul: