Sign in to follow this  

05' yz125... maybe a good find? maybe a big no no?

so i found an 05 yz125 for $750 with a bad motor (dont know exactly whats wrong with it yet) and was wondering what you guys think... go for it? or steer clear? also would a 125 be enough to haul me around? im 6'2" and weigh 170lbs. would a 125 be decent or should i look for a 250 2stroke? heres a link to the add with the bike>>> http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/2322535965.html

I would look for a 250 if I were you. 125 might be under powered for you. If your interested in the bike find out what is wrong. it depend on what is wrong with it depends on how much.

I'd offer him $650 and see if you can steal it. If all else fails, there are enough good parts there to get the money back parting it out.

I'd offer him $650 and see if you can steal it. If all else fails, there are enough good parts there to get the money back parting it out.

:thumbsup:

Good buy.. Even if you had rebuild the top and bottom end you will be ahead. And you could make it a 144 while your at it. 125's are great fun and if you don't like you could easily make your money back....

That's a great deal if you or a buddy can do the engine work yourself.

I have the same bike and being 5'9" 185lbs it pulls me around no problem. Fun little bike.

I would jump on it as that's the start of the alloy frame YZs. I have an 06 and it's unreal in every department especially fun factor. I also have YZ250/285, CR500 and CR125 to name a few.

Craigus

ive been thinking about it seriously. if it is just a top end, thats a running yz125 for under a grand, and an 05 nonetheless. :thumbsup: i can do the engine work not too worried about that haha. and it would be my first bike so im not extremely worried about the power. the 05's had a six speed tranny too.... do you guys know what kind of difference those made in how the bike felt as far as torque?

More shifting!! :thumbsup: The only thing about the 05 I didnt like on my YZ was the forks.. The 06 forks were night and day different from the 05!! Sounds like a pretty good deal!!

well granted there will be more shifting.... :thumbsup: haha. but is there any info anywhere on the gear ratios from the 5 speed and the six speed transmissions? also i think the forks have been done by race tech so that should help some right?