Sign in to follow this  

New FMF Fatty .... HELP

Ok, so I just got this in today and as I was installing it I ran into this problem..

FMFPipe.jpg

Now that black grommet/brace is suppose to connect to the pipe there, at least it did with my stock pipe and the FMF TCII silencer I have. You would think the FMF silencer and pipe combo would line up like a dream, but um this does not seem to be working out!! WHAT TO DO HERE, anyone else run into this??

Nvrmind..................

Ok well I got it working.... When I had first put it on, everything slid together like butter so I thought that it must be right the way it was. The only issue was that bracket that would not line up. Well I took it apart and just put it together before I even slightly snugged anything in place and it work, however there is a little binding now as it does not line up as good as it should.

The best fix would be to cut about 1/8th and inch off that bracket that's on the pipe as it sticks out a little to far.

make sure you don't have an exhaust leak at the front of the header. My Gnarly still requires bending to fix that, it made my bike run really lean... P.O.S.

I put the pipe in place, then add the springs at the cyl and wiggle the whole thing. If it doesnt line up at that point then something is wrong. To bend the header to fit more square to the cyl you have to hold it firmly in a vice or two big gorillas. I use the pipes tabs clamped in the vice. Then with some help to hold the pipe so the whole vice n pipe dont move on you, you bend it a little and test fit again. I use a piece of pipe or wood that fits in the header to do the bending.

I put the pipe in place, then add the springs at the cyl and wiggle the whole thing. If it doesnt line up at that point then something is wrong. To bend the header to fit more square to the cyl you have to hold it firmly in a vice or two big gorillas. I use the pipes tabs clamped in the vice. Then with some help to hold the pipe so the whole vice n pipe dont move on you, you bend it a little and test fit again. I use a piece of pipe or wood that fits in the header to do the bending.

Ya I'm not bending a new pipe, I'll just send it back...

Ya I'm not bending a new pipe, I'll just send it back...

Why not? You'll end up bending it several times anyways.

I've already had to "straighten" mine 4 times in 6 months. :thumbsup: Seems to be part of routine maintenance now. :confused:

I believe the frame tab rotates down if you loosen the bolt/screw in your picture.

Most pipe companies suggest putting the pipe on but leaving all of the bolts loose then staring at the head pipe and working towards the rear of the bike tightening bolts on the way.

I believe the frame tab rotates down if you loosen the bolt/screw in your picture.

Most pipe companies suggest putting the pipe on but leaving all of the bolts loose then staring at the head pipe and working towards the rear of the bike tightening bolts on the way.

Haha, ya I wish you could swing it down but the bracket on the pipe protrudes out waaaaay to far..

Could it be the silencer is holding the pipe too far to the right side? Try removing the silencer to see if everything lines up.

If it does it could mean one or more of the following, a bent subframe, bent silencer stinger, or wrong spacers between silencer and subframe.

If it still doesn't line up you should contact FMF Customer Service by phone.

EDIT: I just looked at your picture again. Try removing the bolt and put that black spacer between the bracket and the frame instead of the way you have it now. Hard to tell but I'm thinking that would allow the bracket to swing down over the pipe mount. Keep up posted and good luck!

Nothing is bent and there is no other option for mounting it without causing some degree of binding which it should not do. I'm working with Rocky Mountain ATV on the issue.

That's what I think too.

That's what I think too.

And you'd be right accept your wrong.... You see, the bracket on the pipe sticks out to far and the hanger on the frame WON'T swing down....

lol talk about an over reaction, loosen EVERYTHING and that tab will swing down. :confused: Or get someone who's a bit more mechanically minded to do it for you. :thumbsup:

lol talk about an over reaction, loosen EVERYTHING and that tab will swing down. :confused: Or get someone who's a bit more mechanically minded to do it for you. :thumbsup:

All the responses to loosen the bracket is just beyond stupid....!!!!!:worthy: You really don't think I've done that, seriously, OMH to even suggest such a stupid thing is beyond me.

The FACT is, the bracket on the FMF pipe sticks out to far and my hanger WONT swing down like it should. I've got the pipe mounted, hell I was able to on the first day but there is some serious binding. IMO, it should not bind it should line up with everything loose and then allow me to tighten it all up without any binding and that is NOT the case.

At this point I've just decided to give up on the idea of a perfect fit and live with the binding. My concern is that the binding will cause issues/failure points at some time in the future, but you'd only consider stuff like that if you were/are a good mechanic and could think forward of just what's in front of your face...... sheeesh guys, read the whole post before you respond!!!

All the responses to loosen the bracket is just beyond stupid....!!!!!:thumbsup: You really don't think I've done that, seriously, OMH to even suggest such a stupid thing is beyond me.

The FACT is, the bracket on the FMF pipe sticks out to far and my hanger WONT swing down like it should. I've got the pipe mounted, hell I was able to on the first day but there is some serious binding. IMO, it should not bind it should line up with everything loose and then allow me to tighten it all up without any binding and that is NOT the case.

At this point I've just decided to give up on the idea of a perfect fit and live with the binding. My concern is that the binding will cause issues/failure points at some time in the future, but you'd only consider stuff like that if you were/are a good mechanic and could think forward of just what's in front of your face...... sheeesh guys, read the whole post before you respond!!!

thne why dont you make a new bracket that doesnt bind? how difficult can that be?

thne why dont you make a new bracket that doesnt bind? how difficult can that be?

That would work too. After a few "get-offs" I have reshaped my set up so many times that my rubber bracket by the kick starter is now on the outside of the frame. :thumbsup:

Well ya I've thought of that and certainly that's an option. I'm just not thrilled that I have to modify my OEM stuff b/c FMF did not do good QC. I paid for something that should be ready to go right out of the box...

I'm sure you've tried this, but...

Could it be the position of the bottom mount tab on the expansion chamber? Is the pipe on the correct side of the rubber mount? If it's not it prevents the expansion chamber from "rotating" enough clockwise (looking at it from the front of the bike) so that the mount near the kick-starter lines up.

Did that make sense?

PS- Contrary to my smart-ass remarks about bending it into shape after crashes, I do understand that it should fit when new just like OEM. I would feel that way too. :thumbsup: