Sign in to follow this  

engine oil motul 3000 20w50 mineral based is this good for crf 230f?

Not sure, but that oil is a bit heavy. I run 15w40 Rotella T Diesel oil in my bikes. Great stuff and cheaply priced, many here use it. I highly recommend Rotella T!

ETA: I see you live in the Philippines, not sure if you can get Rotella T there?

is it as good as a honda oil but cheaper in price, i need to change mine and have been wondering what to use. i figured i would just use the honda oil but if this will do the job just as well.

20w portion of the oil might be too much for an air cooled engine, b/c they take much longer to heat up vs. water cooled engines. REmember, 20w is the viscosity at starting temp. Once the oil is hot, though, the 50 viscosity would actually be much better for an air cooled engine, which only has the cylinder fins to keep the temps from overheating.

IMO, the IDEAL oil for a 230F is the Castrol 10w60, used exclusively on the BMW "M" cars. IT's not an energy conserving oil, and it's about $15/qt.

But, I have only fed my 230's w/ dino 15w40 diesel oil and it's very affordable.

20w portion of the oil might be too much for an air cooled engine, b/c they take much longer to heat up vs. water cooled engines. REmember, 20w is the viscosity at starting temp. Once the oil is hot, though, the 50 viscosity would actually be much better for an air cooled engine, which only has the cylinder fins to keep the temps from overheating.

IMO, the IDEAL oil for a 230F is the Castrol 10w60, used exclusively on the BMW "M" cars. IT's not an energy conserving oil, and it's about $15/qt.

But, I have only fed my 230's w/ dino 15w40 diesel oil and it's very affordable.

Good Post and I also use Rotello T 15W-40 in most of my air cooled bikes.

There is a SAE spec for High Temperature High Shear that is done at 150C and the requirement for 15W-40 oils is a big step up from lower grades oils such as 10W-40. Even higher for 20W-50.

Motor Oil 101 is a good read at bob is the oil guy.com

I got the following off a BMW user group a few years ago but I posted it because it has some good info on oils. Item 4 & 5 discuss High Temperature High Shear:

BMW OILS

I have been cruising through this site and noticed there is a lot of misinformation and confusion about oil. Here are a few things you should know about oil for BMW's:

1. All new BMW's require synthetic. As far as weight, only certain production dates of M3's and M5's require the use of Castrol TWS 10w-60.

2. The Factory BMW Synth 5w-30 is a version of Castrol TXT Softect sold overseas. A few important things about the BMW oil a) it is a Group III hydro cracked oil which cannot be called synthetic in Europe, :thumbsup: it is a heavy 30 weight (30 weight can run from 9.3-12.5cst@100c, the BMW oil is about 12.2cst), c) it is a ACEA A3 oil which means that it is approved for longer change intervals and has a HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) measured at 150c of greater than 3.5.

3. In the US only a few Group IV PAO Synthetics that are available, they are: 1) Mobil 1, 2) Amsoil (but not the Xl-7500), 3) Royal Purple, and 4) German Castrol 0w-30 (it has the red label and says on the back, "Made in Germany). Redline is a Group V PolyEster based oil. All other; Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline "synthetics" are Group III hydro cracked oil. It is debated how much better Group IV base oils are than group III, but generally they are considered better.

4. When looking for oil for any BMW that does not require Castrol TWS 10w-60, you want to purchase oil that has either/both of the following ratings, a) ACEA A3, or :confused: BMW LL-98 or LL-01.

5. Note that Mobil 1 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30 are NOT ACEA A3 or BMW LL approved oils. This is because they all are thin 30 weight oils (approximately 9.8-10 CST@ 100c), and have HTHS of approximately 3.1. Mobil 1 0w-40 and 15w-50 are A3 rated and the Ow-40 is BMW LL-01 approved. For 99% of climates and users 0w-40 or 5w-40 is the appropriate grade. There are some 0w-30 and 5w-30 oils (like the BMW 5w-30) that are formulated on the heavier end of the 30 weight scale and are accordingly rated A3. These oils will work well also. LOOK FOR THAT ACEA A3 rating. If the oil doesn't have it, pass on it.

6. Some people seem confused about how oil thickness is measured. The first number (0W, 5w, 10w, 15w, etc) is a measurement of how thick the oil is at temperatures of -35c- -20c (depends on the grade). The lower this first number the thinner the oil is at LOW temperatures. The second number (30, 40, 50) refers to oil thickness at 100c (operating temperature). 30 weight can be from 9.3-12.5 cst, 40 weight from 12.6-16.2 cst, 50 weight from 16.3-22cst (approximate). So you can have two oils, one called a 5w-30 (i.e. BMW oil) another 0w-40 (Mobil 1) that are very similar thicknesses at operating temperature. Compare this to Mobil 1 Xw-30 which is close to a 20 weight oil at 100c. For more information here is a link with exact numbers http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

7. BMW's recommended interval of 12,000-15,000 miles is to long. Used oil analysis has shown the BMW oil is generally depleted at 10,000 miles. Running it longer results in excess wear. It is highly recommended that you change your oil once between each BMW recommended interval (approx 7000-7500 miles). If you want to run your oil the BMW recommended interval, I would suggest that you use Mobil 1 0w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40 and change the oil filter at 7500 miles. I would encourage a full oil change at 7500 if you want your engine to last.

8. If you want to spend a few hours learning about oil, go to bobistheoilguy.com

Cary

I use Torco 20W-50 in my stroked and camed XR motor because it is JASO-MA and ACEA-A3 rated.

More info: bob is the oil guy.com

anyone happen to have a pick of the Rotella T Triple protection and just wanted to make sure i get the correct stuff.

the onwers manual says to use API service S-J and the oil i found has API service CJ-4 / SM. so i didnt want to get it since i wasn't sure.

anyone happen to have a pick of the Rotella T Triple protection and just wanted to make sure i get the correct stuff.

the onwers manual says to use API service S-J and the oil i found has API service CJ-4 / SM. so i didnt want to get it since i wasn't sure.

This is the stuff I use. But here in Canada I get the 5 liter bottle.

2620-01.jpg

thanks, that looks like the same stuff i just wanted to make sure cuz of the API thing.

At the time older MCs were produced car oils were just fine and recommended, but things have changed; hence the hunt for other oils.

For a wet clutch the JASO-MA rating is more important than the API rating. Thru the years the newest API rating was always better than the previous ratings, but the SL and SM rated oils have reduced or changed anti wear additives because of CAT converter issues, creating potential problems for flat tappet cam wear, and the "energy efficient" oils can create wet clutch problems. As a result the best "car" oils for MCs are the old API-SH oils but they are hard to find except for some specialty producers like Torco, Spectro, Brad-Penn, etc.