KLR Drive Chain Noise

Hi all,

I recently read an archived thread on KLR drive chain noise, (original thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-760925.html ) and I am experiencing exactly the same problem. In the thread he explains it as a whirring noise when in motion which definitely comes from the chain. He fixes the problem, which is related to the rear sprocket, but doesn't provide much detail.

Can anyone please shed some light on this matter.

Attitional info: The noise changes with the bikes speed, it is not related to engine RPM speed, and it does it in any gear/netural.

Cheers

TS

Google "doo hickey" mod. All of your answers will be provided.

If you're sure it's drive chain related, make sure the rear sprocket/wheel is aligned properly with the front. The distance between the center of the rear axle to the center of the swingarm bolt needs to be the same on both sides. I use a long wooden dowel rod with zip ties on it, the ends left long and snipped at an angle to provide a pointer.

Take a real good look at both the top and bottom chain guards/guides on the swingarm. Make sure they haven't been bent or shoved into the path of the chain.

Thanks for your advice.

I just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

The noise is a result of two factors, the second a result of the first:

1) The first problem is a worn-out rubber thingy, I'm not sure what this is called but it is made of rubber and connects the rear chain wheel to the wheel hub. (the bike has 37,000 kms). The tech at Holeshot Kawaski pointed out the play that the sprocket had.

2) The main problem, and reason for the noise, which is has been caused prematurely by the first, is a really worn out chain. There was a huge tight spot in the chain which became evident when I got the bike on a stand and turned the wheel.

Cheers,

TS

The noise is a result of two factors, the second a result of the first:

1) The first problem is a worn-out rubber thingy, I'm not sure what this is called but it is made of rubber and connects the rear chain wheel to the wheel hub.

I think you're talking about the cush drive.

sounds like the right answer. FYI... there are 2 bearings on the drive side... they are separated by a bushing. that bushing has a habit of falling out when the cush drive comes apart, which is easy to do when changing or fixing tires. without that bushing the inner bearing has no effect & stuff grinds. always be sure it's in there before installing the rear wheel. pull the sprocket half of the drive out... it is usually stuck in the inner bearing.

people often set the drive chain tension too tight... it needs about 50mm slack at rest. I set mine by pushing up on the chain near the front of the swing arm... the chain should just barely miss touching the arm.

the tight spot in the chain did not come from the cush drive being worn.... thats lack of lubrication

the doohicky is inside the engine.... the balancer chain tensioner. by all means, do the Doo if you haven't... it is a piece of crap but the fix is easy & only $40