i dropped my new piston on the floor, is it now a paper weight?

i have a NOS honda piston for my cr 480, but i dropped it on a concrete floor from about waste high. it looks fine, no cracks or obvious damage, but i dont think i would feel comfortable using it. what do you think.

on the brite side of things it would make a pretty cool paper weight

i did the same thing to the piston on my cr134 and I ended up running it. Its in the bike right now with probably 10hrs on it. bike runs great. I will probably end up replacing it with the rings at 20-30hrs just for piece of mind.

should be just fine, just look it over to make sure the skirt is ok and what not

If it fell on the skirt I wouldn't use it, look for any smashed corners or edges.

Roll it around on a flat surface to see if the skirt is out of round.

Look for the mark from where it hit and go from there. if on the top edge, make sure the ring gap isn't smashed by installing the rings and checking for a tight spot.

If it hit the skirt, was it straight down on it or from the side?

Put it in the cylinder and check clearance all around.

I've never tried this on a piston, but You can check for cracks in most things metal by tapping it with another hard but light metal.

If it dings it's good... if it goes doynk, it has a crack.

if there's no obvious damage, you could verify it's round with a caliper.. I personally doubt I'd run it, but I understand money doesn't grow on tree's..

Way to go butterfingers! :thumbsup:

As mentioned above, do a real good visual inspection to see if it's still straight where it should be straight and round where it should be round. If you've got access to mics or calipers, use those for dimensions. A razor blade makes a good straight-edge if you don't have access to a 123 block or granite inspection block.

Worst case, they do make good paperweights and pen holders. (Behind the laptop)

DSC00208.jpg

Way to go butterfingers! :thumbsup:

As mentioned above, do a real good visual inspection to see if it's still straight where it should be straight and round where it should be round. If you've got access to mics or calipers, use those for dimensions. A razor blade makes a good straight-edge if you don't have access to a 123 block or granite inspection block.

Worst case, they do make good paperweights and pen holders. (Behind the laptop)

DSC00208.jpg

Is that a polaris liberty motor i spy on the far corner of the bench?

if there's no obvious damage, you could verify it's round with a caliper.. I personally doubt I'd run it, but I understand money doesn't grow on tree's..

I bet the piston wasnt perfectly round before it dropped though ......

I would look at the marks on the piston from where it hit the ground, if you can see the marks, get a new piston

Edited by Kyron
I bet the piston wasn't perfectly round before it dropped though ......

+1

:thumbsup:

i would put the recepit from your new piston under it

Ha^^^

Is that a polaris liberty motor i spy on the far corner of the bench?

Yep. '06 RMK 900 151". Motor comes out at least once a year :thumbsup: