Sign in to follow this  

Suspension valving

I just put on a new rear spring and was wondering if i can just get away with adjusting the clickers. Im only 175-180lbs without gear and i put in a YZ426 stock rear spring thats rated at 5.4 kg/mm from craigslist. So would going from the stock 5.0 to a 5.4 need re-valving.

Also how much does adding a little bit of fork oil to the front help?

You don't need to revalve but you need to set your rear suspension sag for the "new" spring. I also would start with your compression and rebound settings at "stock" and dial in from there once you get your sag set. :thumbsup: Here's a link for directions: http://planetklx.org/techtips/sag.html

As for the front..... Increasing the rear spring rate and leaving the front springs stock will make the bike out of balance. Front will be too soft and have a low ride height. Causing the front to dive and bottom as well as other bad handling issues. Yes you can add oil but this will only help bottoming due to the rise of air pressure under compression. It won't do anything for the low ride height. So it's best to get stiffer front springs as well.

Run the rear sag at about 95mm

And you can't add oil through the air bleed hole. I had my resprung front and rear, no re-valve , but max amount of oil in the forks. I run 105 sag and the forks even with the triple clamps. I have tried the forks pushed through the triple clamps like most others, but it just doesn't work for my dorky butt.

To me the stock suspension felt out of balance cause of the rear spring being to soft. The only time the front felt soft was when i came down from a wheelie or a jump other then that it rode pretty well through the woops. I do plan on getting springs for the front just not right now unless i can find some cheap kx springs cause they're right for my weight and i read they are slightly longer which just adds preload.

Forgot to mention I run a 5.6 spring in the back and stock springs [forks] up front. The only thing I did up front was stiffen my compression by about 4 clicks. The bike handles great for my 215 lbs and doesn't dive in corners. Do I think I'd benefit from new springs? ......probably, but I'm not complaining :thumbsup:

Edited by Rome06379

im just gonna try it and see how it works. im not much heavier then the stock springs are set up for. whats the easiest way to add some fluid to the forks if i need to and how much do you add?

I just got .48kg for mine & I have a 5.6kg on the rear. I'm bringing to Drew Smith @ WER next week for the WORKS!!!!! It's gonna run around Six Benjamins for the job, but I am sure his work will benefit the bike & myself in the woods. I weigh 225 w/o gear.

I felt the same thing -- the front was ok as is

but the back was way to soft -I went to a 5.8 for my 220lbs

I am happy with it - but am not riding motocross - just trail riding

Rome ---6.5 really ?? for 215 lbs --- this seems alot?

I bet you meant 5.5?

He means a 5.6 But a 6.5 wouldn't be a stretch for his fat a**! BWAM! LOL Tag, you're it Romey!

He means a 5.6 But a 6.5 wouldn't be a stretch for his fat a**! BWAM! LOL Tag, you're it Romey!

Touche' Dirkster! :thumbsup: I edited my post when I re-read it....I DID mean 5.6 although the 6.5 is not a bad idea for my big air! lol NOT!

Dirk, you get my PM?

Touche' Dirkster! :thumbsup: I edited my post when I re-read it....I DID mean 5.6 although the 6.5 is not a bad idea for my big air! lol NOT!

Dirk, you get my PM?

Yeah...i got your PM...i'm just playing hard to get! LOL I wish the PSN would get back online! Any day i hear.

I put some miles on the bike today and right away I liked how much better it felt. Not bad for a $25 spring off craigslist.

What's the difference in length between the kx spring and the klx?

I found a set of .48 kx springs for cheap and I debating on whether to try them. Would .48 be too stiff for my 175-180 weight I got the 5.4 in the back and race tech says to use a .478 up front and a 5.36 in the rear but iv seen guys here who weigh 215 plus using a .48

What's the difference in length between the kx spring and the klx?

I found a set of .48 kx springs for cheap and I debating on whether to try them. Would .48 be too stiff for my 175-180 weight I got the 5.4 in the back and race tech says to use a .478 up front and a 5.36 in the rear but iv seen guys here who weigh 215 plus using a .48

For the bike to be balanced you should have a 5.6 in the rear and .48 in the front. Do not not run longer springs in your forks. If you do you will lose travel. Do yourself a favor and go to race tech,Factory connection or some other reputable place and spring it for your weight or close to it softer or harder. They all have great charts so you can balance the bike out.:ride:

Ya the .48 would be too stiff and I emailed the guy selling them about the length and they were 18.75 inches and the manual says 18.1 inches for the klx and the race tech ones are 18.4 so I'm gonna try some kx ones so I'll have the same rates front and rear as the 08 kx