taking the screen out of the air filter cage

I did that once.

Then every time I washed the (screenless) filter cage, little pieces of screen wire were at the bottom of my wash bin. I kept washing the cage, 3, 4 5 times and there were less wires each time, but I got the pint... You will be cutting thousands of wires. Better think of how you're going to catch every piece of wire because what you don't catch will go into your engine.

Maybe burn it out with a torch and then epoxy the cut edge to capture all the little wires?

I would buy a screenless cage if I were you......

Yes of course it's going to flame back thru there, 4-Strokes do that. The question is, how often is it going to catch on fire? Not very often.

Just bend the tabs up and it comes right off. If your bike is stock and you plan to keep it that way, removing the screen will yield very minimal gains if any. If you plan on opening it up, then I would do it....no worries at all.

I did that once.

Then every time I washed the (screenless) filter cage, little pieces of screen wire were at the bottom of my wash bin. I kept washing the cage, 3, 4 5 times and there were less wires each time, but I got the pint... You will be cutting thousands of wires. Better think of how you're going to catch every piece of wire because what you don't catch will go into your engine.

Maybe burn it out with a torch and then epoxy the cut edge to capture all the little wires?

I would buy a screenless cage if I were you......

Yes of course it's going to flame back thru there, 4-Strokes do that. The question is, how often is it going to catch on fire? Not very often.

not sure what you did but mine came out in 1 piece. just bends the tabs and remove. no mess, no wires screwing up the motor.

Like Highmarker said, it's so easy that Honda knew you'd remove it.

I've never been around a bike with the screen left in. It provides zero insurance, and the bike flows measurably more air with it out of the way.

Why would anyone knowingly leave an impediment to airflow in place? My lawn mower doesn't have one, my car doesn't, why is a bike different?

The companies that sell a flame retardant filter are taking advantage of a perceived fear, and offering a product to sooth the worries of nervous riders.

rick ramsey dyno tested his X before and after removing his back fire screen and there was no diffrence with the screen out

The dyno test done by our own jetting forum moderator suggest a one HP improvement. That's 3% for free on a 250X. The bike can't flow more air with it in, and it just seems right to have it out of the way.

That 3% improvement for free is all a $500 pipe would give. No one said it was overwhelming. The restriction is in there to make some government agency happy, not for driveability.

Edited by Leardriver

rick ramsey dyno tested his X before and after removing his back fire screen and there was no diffrence with the screen out

Dyno testing means nothing. It is for continous WOT only. Try to repeatedly raise your front tire over a large rocks, going up hill, at low rpms, with the backfire screen in. You will flame out.

No racer, trials rider, GNCC rider, WORCS rider, Endurocross rider, etc etc, leaves the backfire screen in. There is a reason for this. Un-restriced immediate throttle response, at low rpm's.

Dyno testing means nothing. It is for continous WOT only. Try to repeatedly raise your front tire over a large rocks, going up hill, at low rpms, with the backfire screen in. You will flame out.

No racer, trials rider, GNCC rider, WORCS rider, Endurocross rider, etc etc, leaves the backfire screen in. There is a reason for this. Un-restriced immediate throttle response, at low rpm's.

good info on the dyno thing,but my bike has instant throttle response now and dosent flame out, some of the rocky, mountain trails i ride require low rpms and repeatedly lofting the front wheel over rocks and logs...ccc mods and perfect jetting i guess:ride:

• 3 weeks later...