New SM owner.

Hi all, getting a 2008 DRZ400SM this week, pretty excited about that. My main question about this is when I went to look at the bike, the owner started it up, but it dies when you try to give it any throttle. I know this is a carb problem, but has anyone else experienced this? He told me he just came home from a deployment so the bike has been in storage for some time. Other than that, I can't wait to start tinkering with it, any advice about this would be appreciated, thanks all!

is the engine cold when this happens? if so then try the choke lever. Otherwise Id look into jetting.

Was it running befor he stored it for deployment? should just be old gas and tarnish. drain the tank, open up and clean the carb and throw in some new gas should be good to go.

He only started it up to show me it ran. Once I get the bike I plan on letting it warm up and trying to get some gas flowing through the carb. He put some sea foam or some additive of the sort in the tank which is supposed to clean out gunk that builds up. I plan on doing the 3x3 mod ASAP so jetting was the next thing I was going to work on.

oops forgot get a new spark plug too!!

the jets wont be causing the issue except for being pluged up, or he modded without proper jetting or changed jets without proper modding.

Edited by doobsterdrz
typo

if its been sitting for awhile it might have gunk in the pilot jet.

lol noted, new air filer too? What are the best options for a new exhaust? And its completely stock, only thing he changed was the mickymouse mirrors.

mrd exhaust the best bang for your buck

When he was twisting the throttle, was the engine still cold and the bike in neutral? When I first start my engine for the day, I can't rev it while it's just sitting there in neutral, but when I put it in gear and try to drive away, I don't have any issues.

It was cold, when I went to look at it he had just finished putting it back together, rolled it out of the garage and started it. I'll try putting it in gear when I go and get it. Thanks.

IMG_20110504_200958.jpg And here she is.

Congratulations. It looks good in white.

. . . And how is it running for you?

nice buy man.. just got a black 09 drz400sm 2 weeks ago... you'll love it.. lots of mods you can do as well.

Nice bike.

So far Donny, it starts right up with choke on, I let it warm up and tried to give it throttle and it died. Then with the choke on I put it in gear, started rolling and gave it throttle...died instantly. Going to tear it down this weekend and flush the carb out and replace the gas with some hi test, might as well do a 3x3 if I have that much of it torn apart.

I'm not letting it get me down, already looking into the 39mm carb and an after market pipe to put on it, so many possibilities.

Don't do the 3x3 unless you have the jet kit. These bikes are on the lean side from the factory and opening up the air box will make it leaner.

Also, the bike should run fine on regular gasoline. Unless you are experiencing detonation or spark knock, premium will only cost you more money and may even make less power.

Nice bike bro,congrats:thumbsup:

Don't do the 3x3 unless you have the jet kit. These bikes are on the lean side from the factory and opening up the air box will make it leaner.

Also, the bike should run fine on regular gasoline. Unless you are experiencing detonation or spark knock, premium will only cost you more money and may even make less power.

compression on these bikes is pretty high. i always use premium.

Def sounds like a dirty carb. I cleaned mine after every winter, and if it was anywhere moist this makes perfect sense. combustion chamber cleaner works wonders but gotta clean it ALL off

compression on these bikes is pretty high. i always use premium.

Stock compression on the S/SM motor is 11.3:1 (not all that high) and I run regular in mine with no problem.