Sign in to follow this  

05 CR85 Problem dropping out the engine

I just bought a 2005 CR85 RB. The crankshaft on it was bad so I purchased the new crank, a puller, and case splitter. I Have taken the clutch and flywheel out...

I tried to take the engine off. I unbolted all of the screws accept for the one that goes through the swing arm. So far so good. Once I get to the swing arm I have trouble getting the nut off of the bolt.

After some frustration, I am able to loosen it off. Now the 'axle' or bolt that goes through the swing arm will not come out. I try sticking a big socket in backwards and hammering it out, then just using a hammer. I also tried a propane torch on the opposite side thinking it was just stuck. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Chandler

I just bought a 2005 CR85 RB. The crankshaft on it was bad so I purchased the new crank, a puller, and case splitter. I Have taken the clutch and flywheel out...

I tried to take the engine off. I unbolted all of the screws accept for the one that goes through the swing arm. So far so good. Once I get to the swing arm I have trouble getting the nut off of the bolt.

After some frustration, I am able to loosen it off. Now the 'axle' or bolt that goes through the swing arm will not come out. I try sticking a big socket in backwards and hammering it out, then just using a hammer. I also tried a propane torch on the opposite side thinking it was just stuck. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Chandler

Don't hit on it hard with a socket you'll break the bolt or the socket. Put a long nut (to stick out past the frame) on the swingarm and then use an AIR HAMMER this will keep it from busting the bolt but it will ruin the nut... Worst case you're out about $40 from ebay on parts. :thumbsup:

use a brass dreft they usually wont wipe out the threads just make sure your strikes are hard and sharp

Okay, here is what I did:

I took my straps that I have for my truck to hold down the front shocks on my bike and threw them over my garage door guide attaching them back onto the frame so the swing arm does not just fall off along with the bike.

I screwed the original nut back onto all the threads and applied the torch to the opposite side, and just hammer the nut into the bike. It would not budge.

I unhooked the bike then laid it on the floor repeating the process, eventually it moved - I lifted the bike up and continued.

Thank you guys for your help, mainly the using a bigger nut.

I spray some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a few days, repeating daily. Then apply heat to the engine case where the swingarm bolt goes through, then it is time for a BFH and I use another swingarm bolt as a drift. Takes some time sometimes, but these things will come out. Good luck with it.

Jim

I spray some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a few days, repeating daily. Then apply heat to the engine case where the swingarm bolt goes through, then it is time for a BFH and I use another swingarm bolt as a drift. Takes some time sometimes, but these things will come out. Good luck with it.

Jim

I think this is the key, don't worry about ruining the bolt, just buy a new one and make sure the new one is lubed properly before you put it back on. They are usually corroded in pretty tight and it isn't possible to get the old bolt out without ruining it. Just beat it out and spend the $20 it will cost to get the new bolt and nut.

I restore old MX bikes and seized swingarm bolts are common. This will make getting any seized swingarm bolt a snap. When the bolt starts moving out, start working it back and forth from both sides and eventually it will come out. If you are careful, you won't ruin the bolt.

001-1.jpg