Sign in to follow this  

Silly Carb Removal Question

Any of you have any tricks to make getting carbs on an off easier and quicker? I have a 2000 YZ250 I just rebuilt the upper and lower ends on and have had to take it on and off a few times to work out some bugs and every time I do it I wonder if there are any tricks to it. I know some of you change jets frequently and can't imagine anyone doing that if was as much of a pain to you as it is to me. Its not like its any harder than any other bike I've owned but I didn't really enjoy messing with them either.

I don't find it difficult to remove the seat and side plates, unbolt the silencer, loosen the clamps on the carbs, and then unbolt the entire subframe (which is only 3 bolts) and slide the subframe out. Then you can unplug the 2 electrical sensors from the carb and rotate it towards the left side of the bike to work on it. It takes less than 5 minutes to do.

or, pop the tank off....rotate the carb to loosen the slide screws.....rotate oposite way to access the plug in the bottom......also 5 mins.

I can loosen the clamps on mine and rotate it enough to get the drain off the bowl, which lets me access the main and pilot jets.

To remove the carb or change needle clip positions I pull the seat and subframe (leaving the sidepanels, silencer, etc on the subframe. I'll pull the top shock mount to swing it back for some extra room as well.