1991 Xr 250 pro-link gas charge??

Hi guys,

my brother's 1991 xr 250 got his rear shock damaged ( it appears that only the spring is working and the bike begin to bump when i compress it with my hand).

I send it to "RG3 suspensions" and they cannot fix it because it got no valve to charge the nitrogen gas...the question is, is there any way i can charge it??

It got no oil leaks...any idea of what can be wrong??

thanks,:thumbsup:

like this one

KGrHqRhwE1KvKOlEBNe97ir_12.jpg?t=1304483630

Vicente, Chile

I'm surprised that the valve could not be found, any reputable shop should know that it is located at the bottom of the reservoir beneath a removable cap. The charge pressure is 284psi of nitrogen. Dry air can be used if you can find a source for it. You will need a factory service manual if you want change the oil and recharge yourself.

I'm surprised that the valve could not be found, any reputable shop should know that it is located at the bottom of the reservoir beneath a removable cap. The charge pressure is 284psi of nitrogen. Dry air can be used if you can find a source for it. You will need a factory service manual if you want change the oil and recharge yourself.

This is the removable cap that you are saying?

How can I remove it?

thanks

p0405111742.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can not remember that far back ,BUT.On 86 xr 250 I had to drill hole in cap,and pry out with screw driver.Then valve could be recharged.Someone here must remember?

I have serviced several of these shocks. The only way I could remove the cap is to pierce the edge of it with a small screwdriver and pry the cap off. After reassembly, I seal the hole with JB Kwik Weld.

I have serviced several of these shocks. The only way I could remove the cap is to pierce the edge of it with a small screwdriver and pry the cap off. After reassembly, I seal the hole with JB Kwik Weld.

so... under this cap, there is a valve??

so... under this cap, there is a valve??

Yes, it is the schrader valve for the gas bladder.

I am in the same boat right now. My shock is leaking a little bit.

I have been reading it over in my Honda Shop Manual and it seems pretty straight foward. But there are a lot of steps to doing it right. I would get yourself a shop manual and do it right.

Just my 2 cents

thanks for your answers, finally send it to racetech suspensions. they knew what to do:thumbsup:

I will post later what exactly was wrong...

thanks for your answers, finally send it to racetech suspensions. they knew what to do:thumbsup:

I will post later what exactly was wrong...

Please let us know the cost also.

Thanks,

I'm not sure if he wants the work but a good friend of mine rehabbed my 1986 XR600R Showa shock and it's working splendid. His name is Jim Anderson and his business is Black Diamond Performance. He is located in San Marcos California and you can reach him at 704-906-9777. He used to work for Showa and Ohlins back in the 80-90's and set up suspensions for motocross legends like Ricky Johnson, Jean Michele Bayle and the like. I can't tell you how much he'll charge you but the work will be done right and he'll give you excellent service and good reference for adjustment settings. If it's toast, he'll let you know too.

I'm not sure if he wants the work but a good friend of mine rehabbed my 1986 XR600R Showa shock and it's working splendid. His name is Jim Anderson and his business is Black Diamond Performance. He is located in San Marcos California and you can reach him at 704-906-9777. He used to work for Showa and Ohlins back in the 80-90's and set up suspensions for motocross legends like Ricky Johnson, Jean Michele Bayle and the like. I can't tell you how much he'll charge you but the work will be done right and he'll give you excellent service and good reference for adjustment settings. If it's toast, he'll let you know too.

thanks but Im from Chile(south america),only a few miles away from san marcos.:confused: hahaha...