Sign in to follow this  

2010 530 exc oil question

I just bought a 2010 530 excr champion edition my question is as im wanting to do an oil change is weather or not the crankcase oil and tranny oil are the same? its really hard to find in the book from what i read it sounds like the 10w 50 oil is in both?? I am confused!! any help would be appreciated..

Thanks!

Yep, same oil for both. The separate chambers keep the engine oil cleaner and extends the change interval. You'll notice the difference when you clean the respective screens.

.9qt for the gears, ~.6qt for the engine. Don't use synthetic to break it in as you need the rings to mate with the cylinder. Synthetic is too slippery - save it for later if you wish.

BTW, I'm a proponent of the "don't baby it, don't abuse it, but ride it aggressively during break in" method. Research it and make your own decision.

when draining oil tip the bike over on right side as well as the left,this will help drain excess oil from the filter cavity. Just as a note it should be about .55 liters in crank and .90 liters in gears.The gear case has a overflow well marked on the right side of the bike, stop filling when oil comes out. I was also told that the bikes are shipped with synthetic oil in them from the factory and that the first change should be done with synthetic and after that go to what ever oil you want. Be warned the dealers oil that they want you to use goes for $22/liter. I just did my 1st oil change and those measurements were given to me by a fellow TT'r and were bang on. Have a can of brake clean ready to clean the screens off when you pull them. There will be alot of metal fragments on them. Good luck.

• Like 1

My transmission screen on my 2010 450EXC was almost clogged with material and metal on the first change after about 4 hours. I've never seen anything like it. Using expensive Motorex oil - would like to switch to a more reasonable synthetic.

After four hours, I drained both sides- the gear sides had a lot of crud on the screen. The engine oil was a lot cleaner. I put Silkolene Comp Gear semi-syn on the gear side. On the engine side, I will keep using Repsol 4T dino/non-synthetic 10w40 for a few more changes...then switch to Motorex or Repsol synthetic 10w50.

Yeah, 10w50 for both sides- motorcycle oil preferably. I think 10w40 is also perfectly fine. I will switch to 10w50 as summer rolls around in full force.

My transmission screen on my 2010 450EXC was almost clogged with material and metal on the first change after about 4 hours. I've never seen anything like it. Using expensive Motorex oil - would like to switch to a more reasonable synthetic.

I had the exact same thing on my 10 530 EXC. My transmission screen was clogged with what looked to be some sort of grease when I changed the oil at 4 hrs. I crossed my fingers and hoped that nothing was damaged. Changed the oil after 10 hrs and the transmission side was clean but had a little metal on the engine side. Now I am worried about that :smirk:. I have 15 hrs on it now and am going to change it in another couple just to see what is going on. I am using the Motorex semi for breaking in.