2006 EXC 450 Lighting Question

I am getting ready for a 24-hour race this year at perry mountain june 4-5.

I was wondering what the max power a stock magneto/generator is putting out, i am looking into upgrading the lighting system but really want to know what the stock magneto is capable of.

Conventional wisdom seems to be about 120W, less than 100w available for the lights.

I've been casually looking at this same issue, but for the less macho purpose of powering electric clothing.

Anyway, check out this thread and the inlcuded links for some pretty good info.

KTM needs to wire the stator for some power before they post a fairy tale rating of 150 watts power in the owner manual.

If you are checking out power output, cost and replacement, check with the tech people at Baja Designs, Trail-tech or Ricky Stator. Most will give give some phone time.

ok, but the stator wouldnt have a hard time pushing 100watt hid trailtechs?

i really just have no idea how to check the wattage the stator is putting out.. if it is possible.

ok, but the stator wouldnt have a hard time pushing 100watt hid trailtechs?

i really just have no idea how to check the wattage the stator is putting out.. if it is possible.

The tailtech HID's might have a difficult time swallowng the AC -- Alternating Current -- that the stator would present to 'em in its stock form.

While I have no idea what's in the guts of the HID lights, I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that they are designed for a 12VDC source.

IMHO you have three options: first, rectify and regulate the existing stator to present DC to your headlight. I understand, but do not know, that the stock stator produces enough energy to run the HID lights. Second, get the stock stator 'rewound', rectified and regulated for higher output than stock. Third, get the ~$250 Electrex kit (there may be others) that ostensibly furnishes a 250W stator along with appropriate rectifier and regulator.

The answer to these questions are available from Baja Designs, from Ricky Stator, and from Electrex. It probably boils down to how much you wanna spend.

yes i seen a thread to convert your stock stator from AC to DC but i couldnt find anywhere that would tell me how much watts it would be putting out