Sign in to follow this  

5yr olds first ride on a KTM 50 SR at the track

Proud Dad moment :smirk:

My son's first ride today on a gas powered bike, a 2000 KTM50 SX SR. Also his first real ride at the track. He did a couple laps last yr, but it was really just squeeking him through when there were no other riders on the track. So this year we designated a kids night :confused:

His new bike is pretty tall for him, he can just tippy toe, not to mention twice as heavy as the electric, so he was a little intimidated by it. So the session started with the electric. He caught some little airs and managed 3 laps,paddling up the big jumps, before the bike ran out of juice. He wanted to ride more, so it was KTM time. A few laps in the pits and he felt ready to hit the track.

Well 35 laps and 3hrs later I drag him out of there for bed. He tells me he's done with the electric and wants to sleep with his KTM :busted:

By the end he had it pinned on the big straights coming into the big jumps, was catching a little air on every jump, and putting his foot out and hitting berms. Had excellent throttle control :thumbsup:

Happy Dad :worthy:

robbiefirstktmtrack001.jpg

robbiefirstktmtrack005.jpg

robbiefirstktmtrack030.jpg

robbiefirstktmtrack040.jpg

robbiefirstktmtrack057.jpg

robbiefirstktmtrack062.jpg

robbiefirstktmtrack065.jpg

robbiefirstktmtrack034.jpg

Thanks for the reply's everyone :thumbsup:

He was pretty hiarious this am. Wolk up to him making the sounds of his bike, and saying sporadic words like KTM, skyjacker (one of the big jump names) :confused:

He's all amped, wants to go today and everyday again. I've created a monster :busted:

Same thing happened with him skiing this winter, he ended up skiing 80 days :worthy:

That's awesome! My son is on a PW50 at age three. He would sleep in his riding gear in the garage next to his bike if his mom would let him! I can't wait until he's tall enough to ride a bike with real suspension!

Man thats what its all about, we have had our time and now its time for our boys, or girls, to start theirs. Our support and positive influence on riding is super important. I raced for Suzuki when I was competitive and my son wanted nothing else than a JR50 because I still had a race bike and thats what he seen, when he turned 3 I bought him one as a surprise, he thought we were going to McDonald's. He is ready for a KTM or a Cobra so im really looking to find one for him.

I live in Wa and its been raining here for what seems like 9 months. I see you are out of our jet stream and it was dry out for you. Is that a public track?

I live in Wa and its been raining here for what seems like 9 months. I see you are out of our jet stream and it was dry out for you. Is that a public track?

Yeah it's been fairly dry here lately, but cool, we've been north of the jetstream. Normally at this time of year the jetstream sould be north of us, global warming :thumbsup:

Yeah, thats our local public track here in the Pemberton area, holds a couple regional races a year. There's a little info if you check out GRMX on facebook.

Man thats what its all about, we have had our time and now its time for our boys, or girls, to start theirs. Our support and positive influence on riding is super important. I raced for Suzuki when I was competitive and my son wanted nothing else than a JR50 because I still had a race bike and thats what he seen, when he turned 3 I bought him one as a surprise, he thought we were going to McDonald's. He is ready for a KTM or a Cobra so im really looking to find one for him.

For sure thats what it's all about. Time to pass the torch :thumbsup:

NICE!!! Great picks and he looked like he was loving the KTM.:thumbsup:

Thats Awsome Tribal!! WE might have to get the kids together up at onion sometime? LOL. Way to go Dad. My boy has only been out on the 50once this year. Stupid weather!!

Thanks for the reply's everyone :thumbsup:

He was pretty hiarious this am. Wolk up to him making the sounds of his bike, and saying sporadic words like KTM, skyjacker (one of the big jump names) :confused:

He's all amped, wants to go today and everyday again. I've created a monster :smirk:

Same thing happened with him skiing this winter, he ended up skiing 80 days :busted:

Skiing AND dirtbiking... damn, that was my dream growing up. Didn't get to do either until I was 18 and moved out. That's too awesome for words!!! :worthy:

Thats Awsome Tribal!! WE might have to get the kids together up at onion sometime? LOL. Way to go Dad. My boy has only been out on the 50once this year. Stupid weather!!

Thanks. Can't wait to get him trail riding on this bike, but seeing he can only tippy toe touch he's going to need to get a hair taller. He should be good by the summer.

Now I just got to get this thing running right. When I unloaded it from the truck after the ride, it wasn't running right, wouldn't make power. So I tore the motor apart yesterday, a whole 4 bolt affair. Good news is cylinder, piston and crank are mint. Bad news I seem to be chasing an electrical gremlin.....

This is painfull because he's so amped to ride, and parts won't be here untill next Thursday...

Speaking of Onion, I'm playing with the idea of Saturday but my riding partners bike is down. Interested???

Thanks. Can't wait to get him trail riding on this bike, but seeing he can only tippy toe touch he's going to need to get a hair taller. He should be good by the summer.

Now I just got to get this thing running right. When I unloaded it from the truck after the ride, it wasn't running right, wouldn't make power. So I tore the motor apart yesterday, a whole 4 bolt affair. Good news is cylinder, piston and crank are mint. Bad news I seem to be chasing an electrical gremlin.....

This is painfull because he's so amped to ride, and parts won't be here untill next Thursday...

Speaking of Onion, I'm playing with the idea of Saturday but my riding partners bike is down. Interested???

Make sure you check the clutches. Clutches on any 50cc needs lots of attention. :thumbsup:

Make sure you check the clutches. Clutches on any 50cc needs lots of attention. :thumbsup:

That's were I am now. I got the ground and plug boot sorted. She starts and idles good. But when you try to get it to go the bike bogs under clutch load and makes a grinding sound in there. If you lift the wheel in the air it goes better.

I'm going to pull this motor apart again and see whats up with the clutch.