Sign in to follow this  

Race fuel for F.I.

Hey guys,

I'm riding a 2010 yz450f and was curious if anyone has experimented with running race fuel on these f.i. bikes and what the hot ticket is. I am hoping to find a good fuel to run without messing with my mapping.

Depending on your altitude, if you do not want to adjust the FI, oxegenated fuel might work for you. Non-oyxegenated fuel is not of any value as you do not need the high octane. Keep in mijnd, some race fuels cannot be left in the bike and the system must be drained and flushed at the end of the day.

I thought just the opposite. In road racing we always had to adjust for oxy fuels.

referring to carb's, but the basics still apply for FI:

Straight from VP's website about the U4.4:

Designed as a direct, pour-in replacement for pump gas, it will require modest jetting changes, i.e., +2 main jets or +2 pilot jets at most. With its higher octane rating, U4.4 is designed for use in stock and modified 2-stroke and 4-stroke applications.

However, this is not always the case, given your current settings, altitude, etc...but on the whole, oxy fuels will require richer mixtures. Be sure to have your air/fuel ratio checked to ensure you are within the correct range.

***Please note, different fuels require different settings, some require a greater degree of fueling change than others, some require no change. IT ALL DEPENDS, but once you jet/map for a fuel, try to stick with that fuel or change your settings. For this reason, FI programmers now come with multi-map ability.***

.... and the OP is in a place that requires a leaner mix, hence O2 race fuel will lean him slightly, may well end up with a good A/F. Only way to know for sure is how the bike runs (do not expect the race ful to replace power lost to thinner air), ie, no signs of being too rich. Better still, test with an A/F sensor.

204 - Renegade SX4 plus, $40 a gallon but significant gains. Generally the YZF likes a little more fuel on top when the air density is normal but the injection doesn’t compensate as it should so the stock program would work OK with the Renegade up in CO.