Sign in to follow this  

KTM 525 tranny woes?

I recently purchased an '06 525 SX with a four speed gearbox and seem to have a problem with the tranny sometimes acting up. When on the gas shifting up through the gears when I get to third it sometimes seems to downshift on its own. Very disturbing situation for sure. The first time it happened I thought maybe I had not shifted it hard enough as I was too busy just hanging on but it seems to happen now and then even with deliberate shifts. Only third gear so far. Filters looked clear of metal filings when I last changed oil. Any ideas? Thanks and great forum by the way.

I'll bet your 525 is a six speed and your mentioning that it's a four speed is just a typo.

However, if it seems to be a four speed; that is, if you have only four speeds on the bike, then I wonder if your jumping out of 'third' gear, isn't related to your 'missing' two speeds.

In a somewhat similar current thread, there's consideration given to the position of the shift lever on its shaft. IMHO, that is the first place to start when encountering shifting problems, especially if the shift lever has left its perch for any reason. That's cuz it can be mounted -- and accessories can be mounted -- such that the range of movement of the shift lever is restricted, making it look and feel like the transmission is buggered when in fact, one need only remount the shift lever correctly.

Now if KTM did actually produce a four speed RFS in '06 I shall stand rebuked.

If it isnt a loose shifter or bent shaft from a crash it may be a bent shifting fork or damaged dogs on the gears, BUT it is more likely and much more common to have a loose part under the right side case in the shift mechanism. There is also a roller for the shift star that has bearings in it and it is known to fail with tiny bearings loose in your motor, the replacement is a solid roller. Maybe this is getting loose and about to fail. Have you removed the screens to see if any balls are in it? Time to take it apart.

I'll bet your 525 is a six speed and your mentioning that it's a four speed is just a typo.

However, if it seems to be a four speed; that is, if you have only four speeds on the bike, then I wonder if your jumping out of 'third' gear, isn't related to your 'missing' two speeds.

In a somewhat similar current thread, there's consideration given to the position of the shift lever on its shaft. IMHO, that is the first place to start when encountering shifting problems, especially if the shift lever has left its perch for any reason. That's cuz it can be mounted -- and accessories can be mounted -- such that the range of movement of the shift lever is restricted, making it look and feel like the transmission is buggered when in fact, one need only remount the shift lever correctly.

Now if KTM did actually produce a four speed RFS in '06 I shall stand rebuked.

It would sure be nice if there was a six speed hiding in there but it sure shifts as though it is a four speed. I did check for obstructions in the shifter lever area as you suggested, nothing seems to be binding though. I may be in for a good rebuking myself as upon closer inspection of the manufacture date on the steering head sticker reads 4th month of 2005. I guess this may make it an '05 525 sx? Any four speeds in '05?

If it isnt a loose shifter or bent shaft from a crash it may be a bent shifting fork or damaged dogs on the gears, BUT it is more likely and much more common to have a loose part under the right side case in the shift mechanism. There is also a roller for the shift star that has bearings in it and it is known to fail with tiny bearings loose in your motor, the replacement is a solid roller. Maybe this is getting loose and about to fail. Have you removed the screens to see if any balls are in it? Time to take it apart.

The shifter does seem a little loose but I'm not sure if its the shifter or the shaft or both at this point. Will look into it. The roller on the the shift star with the bearing you mentioned, I assume can only be checked with a full case split to get at it? Doesnt sound good if it is a bearing instead of a solid roller with the little balls maybe rolling around in there.

It would sure be nice if there was a six speed hiding in there but it sure shifts as though it is a four speed. I did check for obstructions in the shifter lever area as you suggested, nothing seems to be binding though. I may be in for a good rebuking myself as upon closer inspection of the manufacture date on the steering head sticker reads 4th month of 2005. I guess this may make it an '05 525 sx? Any four speeds in '05?
It is I who stands rebuked. You have an SX and I was reading it as 'EXC'.

SX's were four speed, as you say.

I'm with Mike in Fresno. Time for some minor, if not major surgery.

Edited by halmca