Sign in to follow this  

New Rider - What Gear To Buy First

Gear is pretty expensive and I've got a helmet. I'm just not sure what gear I should buy first, that is what is the most important thing to get my hands on first? I'm pretty particular about my knees, specifically the right one as it is sort of messed up. So I'm definitely going to invest in knee-shin guards because it probably wouldn't take much of a hit to my right knee (unprotected that is) to make me take a break for a few weeks. My knees are put through a lot of stress at work also (unloading trucks, pulling hundreds to thousands of pounds of freight by myself).

I've noticed chest protectors are a must have.

IMO, the most important piece to have, other than your helmet, is a set of boots.

For general knee/shin protection you can get some cheap ones that will do the job just fine. I'm using Shift Enforcer guards and I think I only paid $13 through Motorcycle Superstore. They have held up great and have saved my knees more than once.

Defnintly boots. I am currently sitting with cructhes. Had acl reconstruction in my knee 2weeks ago. Just as much as tupperware is not a helmet so my slops arent boots. Found out the hard way. My next buy would be chest protector. And invest in a leatt neck brace

Boots are absolutely second after a helmet. They might feel a little weird and stiff at first, but I won't ride without boots and a helmet, everything else I can get by without if need be.

I agree 100%. The first gear I bought when I started riding were boots and helmet. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for guys selling complete combo deals. There seems to be quite I few on there that start riding and then give it up shortly after starting. Sometimes you can get a complete almost new set of gear for the price you'd pay for a set of mid level boots new. I bought a set of new boots still in the box for $60 on craigslist not too long ago. My friend just bought a complete set of gear for his 15 year old boy on there as well for $100. New Jersey/Pants, chest protector, boots, gloves, and helmet. The guy really needed the cash.

Get some goggles too. You can get a pair for $20 and will protect your eyes.

A pair of boots is an essential piece of equipment. It's really dangerous to ride without boots...:thumbsup:

I had a guy tell me that he would ride without a helmet before he would ride without boots. That being said, I need to buy a pair of boots. All I have right now is some steel toe work boots. NOT GOOD.

Absolute min for riding IMO is helmet and boots. However at my age I won't go out without pants with good hip and tail bone pads. I double up and got a pair of impact shorts as well. Chest protectors are great especially to protect from roost. Knee pads, and elbow protectors. I had a small crash last year and ripped the skin off my elbow and forearm. I now have those in my armory. Gloves are also an important thing as it is most likely the first thing that you put on the ground when you crash. I am saving for a neck brace since I am getting more and more agressive and jumping bigger. Buy what you can as you can but get some boots for sure. Our track won't let people ride without boots and a helmet, that is there only requirements although they suggest full gear be worn.

Have fun and ride safely,

The Bug

Cody,

from your other thread, I think you said you will be trail riding. This comes from my 39 years of trail riding experience in Colorado. We used to wear jeans and a helmet when I started out.

Here is my priority list (assuming you will be trail riding and not motocross on the TTR225 that you just purchased):

Don't even get on the bike without them:

1. Helmet (any DOT approved at a minimum)

2. Some form of eye protection - goggles preferred

3. Some form of boot

4. Some form of gloves - even if they are cheap leather work gloves

5. Real motorcycle boots with shin and ankle protection (you'll want to get these pretty quickly, but they dont need to be the $500 Gaerne or Sidi boots to start with)

6. Motorcycle gloves

7. Riding pants with knee.shin protection above the top of the boot.

8. Jersey - they wash up easier and some have built-in think elbow pads

Optional...I still don't trail ride with these:

9. Elbow guards

10. Chest protector

just an FYI....my dad rode his 81 IT465 (and Yamaha DT enduros prior to that) all over the roughest, rockiest Colorado trails from about age 33 to age 70 wearing only an open face helmet, jeans, motorcycle boots, sunglasses and gloves (whatever he could find). Bumps and bruises here and there put no major injuries. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good reasons for some of the great protective equipment that is out there, but you don't need to invest a fortune in gear right away to hit the trails.

Sorry....items 5 through 8 listed above dont need to be before you even get on the bike, you can begin to collect them as you find some bargains on new or used versions of these.

Lets see, i was wearing Tech 8's (boots), crashed and injured my foot. I was wearing a good chest protector,crashed and bruised my ribs. I was wearing padded riding pants with padded crash shorts under,crashed and injured my hip. I would recommend wearing everything you can afford! Cause who knows whats gonna get injured in a crash? Without the protection i had in those crashes it would have been really bad!

Cody,

from your other thread, I think you said you will be trail riding. This comes from my 39 years of trail riding experience in Colorado. We used to wear jeans and a helmet when I started out.

Here is my priority list (assuming you will be trail riding and not motocross on the TTR225 that you just purchased):

Don't even get on the bike without them:

1. Helmet (any DOT approved at a minimum)

2. Some form of eye protection - goggles preferred

3. Some form of boot

4. Some form of gloves - even if they are cheap leather work gloves

5. Real motorcycle boots with shin and ankle protection (you'll want to get these pretty quickly, but they dont need to be the $500 Gaerne or Sidi boots to start with)

6. Motorcycle gloves

7. Riding pants with knee.shin protection above the top of the boot.

8. Jersey - they wash up easier and some have built-in think elbow pads

Optional...I still don't trail ride with these:

9. Elbow guards

10. Chest protector

just an FYI....my dad rode his 81 IT465 (and Yamaha DT enduros prior to that) all over the roughest, rockiest Colorado trails from about age 33 to age 70 wearing only an open face helmet, jeans, motorcycle boots, sunglasses and gloves (whatever he could find). Bumps and bruises here and there put no major injuries. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good reasons for some of the great protective equipment that is out there, but you don't need to invest a fortune in gear right away to hit the trails.

Thanks man, I guess I'll definitely be buying boots next and I'll scout for some good deals first. The good news is my car has gotten interest (hasn't even been put up for 24 hours and I've gotten calls about it) so I may be able to snag some gear and put the rest in savings (one day I'd like to save up to hit some trails out west). I'll look for the pants and stuff and see what I can find. I know I'm gonna wreck, the last one didn't scare me. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right haha.