Sign in to follow this  

Shroud or not to shroud: fan cooling the RFS

I'm almost certainly going to add a fan to my '07 525, it has overheated more than once.

There seem to be two styles of fans available, one that incudes a shroud and fastens via the shroud to the radiator frame; and one w/o the shroud that fastens with little pastic ties that pass through the radiator.

Shrouded fans would likely be more efficient when running, but when off, the shroud seems to my eye to lessen 'natural' airflow through the radiator, thus causing it to run more often(and load the puny 20W DC System more often) than the un-shrouded.

The unshrouded fan, tho' less efficient when running, has perhaps a far lesser restrictive effect on the 'natural' flow of air through the radiator, but the mouting -- the four plastic items that secure the fan to the radiator fins -- strikes me as half-assed, and perhaps injurious to the radiator over time.

Comments? I gotta order before the seriously hot Florida arrives. :thumbsup:

I would run the un-shrouded fan. I didn't know KTM was still offering the shrouded version anymore. I though all the latest versions came un-shrouded and with a higher temp. thermoswitch.

I put fans on both my 525's. Add to that the coolant overflow tank and your set up will be perfect. The one with the shroud has a rubber flap that allows airflow through when moving -- non issue.

KTM Part Number(s): 59035041044

I put fans on both my 525's. Add to that the coolant overflow tank and your set up will be perfect. The one with the shroud has a rubber flap that allows airflow through when moving -- non issue.

KTM Part Number(s): 59035041044

Thanks.