2stroke vs 4stroke

if your a fast rider, youll rip on the 2t. its lighter, has more power everywhere but the power band is shorter. the maintainance is cheap, and blow ups are relitivly cheap to fix. the yz250 has arguably the best 2t engine built.

the 4t is heavier but the power is easier to ride with. it also goes fast but lacks the punch of the 2t. maintainance is more and blow ups can cost thousands.

what would you consider using the bikes for?

Like said above, the yz250 is a full step above the 250f in the power department just about everywhere. Probably pretty close on the low end, the yz250 doesnt have much bottom end power. It is lighter, easier to work on, and cheaper in almost everyway. The only reason you would get a 250f over the 250 is if you just wanted a stepping stone to a 450f. This may be the case if your serious about motocross. If you ride offroad/trails, the yz250 is the obvious choice.

i mostly do trails and track but i am looking at 450f but i dont know if they are to powerful of if i can handle it, but i can ride a yz 250 prettty good. this bike will have to last me atlest till i graduate hightschool ( 4 years) so i want some thing i can ride for a while , im 15 and 5 9 if that helps i just dont kno if i can handle a 450f

the yz250 is in the 450 class and the yz250f is in the light class. You are comparing a full on mxer to a light. there is no comparison yz250 for speed, yz250f for reliability. srry if i dont mke sence typed on phone

yzf250 for reliability???depends how its riden i guess. they are both full on mxbikes. but litre for litre, 2stroke will always come out on top in performance.

superlights are actually quite competative against450s on some tracks.

YZ250 has 46 hp, 10 hp more than a YZ250F

YZ250 has 30 ft lb, 10 ft lb more than a YZ250F

YZ250 weighs about the same as a YZ250F

YZ250 will FEEL Lighter, much lighter.

YZ250 has more bottom mid and much more top than a YZ250F

If you think a 450 is too much, a 250 two stroke may be too much too...

a 450 makes about 50 hp smoothly with a YZ250 making 46 hp more aggressively.

They are two completely different bikes! If you are coming off a 250F, you may want to stay with a 450. The 250-2T is a totally different learning curve. And dont let the CC`s fool you. 250- 2T`s can eat up many 450`s. Especially in the hands of someone who can ride one. They are a blast to ride and much cheaper as far as maintenance is concerned.

Like said above, the yz250 is a full step above the 250f in the power department just about everywhere. Probably pretty close on the low end, the yz250 doesnt have much bottom end power. It is lighter, easier to work on, and cheaper in almost everyway. The only reason you would get a 250f over the 250 is if you just wanted a stepping stone to a 450f. This may be the case if your serious about motocross. If you ride offroad/trails, the yz250 is the obvious choice.

I totally disagree with you that a YZ250 doesn't have much bottom end power. My 2007 YZ250 is way over and beyond strong on the bottom. Everyone that has ridden mine comments about the bottom end power being awesome.

250fs you have to ride relatively hard to make them go fast. Yes 450's can be a hand full but the power is so broad and smooth that you can use the throttle as a dial to how fast you want to go. I'm about your size and I made a jump from a 125 2t that was tuned for all top end power (even more so then a normal 125) to a 450r and wasn't overwhelmed by the power of a 450....you just HAVE to respect it or it will put you on your ass in a hurry. It also depends what kind of trails you ride; if they are flowing trails, the 450's tall gearing will not be that much of a handicap, but iff they are tight. You do not want a 450 mx bike. You will be miserable. Having said that, if I was to do it all over again, I would go with a yz 250....you can make them into anything you want, and they are cheap! Good luck