500 course announcement

Typically, how many weeks in advance is the course layout announced?

Think it will be out by May 13th?

Thanks,

Typically about four weeks prior to the race weekend. This doesn't mean pre-running will be open that soon however nor does it mean the course will be fully marked at that time. They've been reducing the number of weekends for prerunning in recent years to minimize impact to locals and the course.

I predict a surprise coming in the way of a different course this year. I wont believe it until it is official but I have heard some rumors of a big change.

I predict a surprise coming in the way of a different course this year. I wont believe it until it is official but I have heard some rumors of a big change.

I sure hope you are right. I am not too optimistic though seeing as how the pre run begains and ends at the same place as it has the last few years, and same direction, according to score. I guess they could throw in mikes and simpsons, maybe a san felipe loop, or head further south of San vecente. I think it will be another trip up over the summit. If you have any info do share..... Always to get the rumors circulating.

:thumbsup::confused:

Score just posted that the course will be up May 21st.

Score just posted that the course will be up May 21st.

Pre run opens May 21st. Score should announce the course before then so everyone has a little time to plan.

Edited by karmataburn
Doing 10 things at once!

Looks like I was wrong. Pretty much the same old thing with a few small changes. Map is up on Scores website.

Sources marking the course say new sections in and around the summit are reportedly going to be a nightmare after pre-running chews it up. Ton's of new VPs.

NORRA is sneaking up on SCORE.

If so, they will eventually sneak up to the same land-use issues that SCORE faces each year.

If so, they will eventually sneak up to the same land-use issues that SCORE faces each year.
Yeah, but it will take a lot longer. NORRA has really long highway sections between "Special Stages" which by-pass a lot of stuff even stuff could be raced on. Shoot with NORRA you can load your bike in your truck and transport it to the next Special Stage!
............... Ton's of new VCPs.

corrected it for ya... and wanted to add a note;

Make sure if your to race, to hit each one of those VCPs. They are put there for a reason... to make sure everyone races the 'same race'. If you miss one... it's 10min added to your time. Miss 3, and it's 30min. And so on. It could ruin a racers standing real quick.

You'll start seeing more and more VCPs, as SCORE will also use them to keep you ON COURSE where they intended you to race. Those short little "lines" that cut off corners will soon to be a thing of the past for us bike racers (speaking of the larger ones... not the tiny 10footers or super small "through the bush" types).

Safe racing for those in the 500 this year! Be safe!

I like the idea of the VCP's, but hope they don't go overboard with it. There should still be room for some creativity between VCP's to make it interesting.

I like the idea of the VCP's, but hope they don't go overboard with it. There should still be room for some creativity between VCP's to make it interesting.

... and there is. For example, they allow "multiple lines" in areas that are not in need of control. Best example I can think of is San Felipe... and the washes the race runs in. LOTS of room there to find a line.

I don't think VCPs can go "overboard" in quantity. Unless they look like mile markers on the map. I personally think they are great for the racer, for the event, and for the land owners or ejidos. Even for those who score the racer :smirk: Makes everyone's life a bit easier. The only people I know who'd complain about it, are those anit-GPS persons who don't pre-run with a GPS... or who literally don't pre-run (or essentially, those who CHEAT! LoL!) But come on... it's 2011 for goodness sake. Pre-run with a GPS!

Pre-run with a GPS!

Whats a GPS :smirk:

Pre-run with a GPS!

Whats a GPS :smirk:

Last time I preran w/ a GPS I got lost...haha

If you can't follow the convenient red arrows and ribbon, you're probably going too fast and/or not paying attention, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of prerunning. Stop and smell the roses... prerunning is 90% of the fun anyway :smirk:

"NORRA is sneaking up on SCORE"

As someone who raced Norra '10 and drove support for Norra '11, I wouldn't worry in the least about Norra if I was SCORE.