shim buckets

hi has any one ever had trouble with a shim bucket going in its place properly.

ie: 3 of them i just dropped in, the 4th one did not want to go in,i had to force it down.

the reason i ask is my bike starts but then will just stop suddenly like some thing is stopping the engine. it also makes a scraping noise when running.

thanks for any info, i really appreciate it :thumbsup:

Did you put them all back in the same spot?.......There are minor differences that could cause issues with re-installing if not put back over the same spring....I mark mine with a sharpie before removal as to not mess up the order.

hi just spoke to eddie who tells me its definatley not a tight bucket. has any one got any ideas if it could be any thing else. I know you guys cant give me a full mechanics report online, without looking at the bike im just after ideas as i have run out.

cam cover off and it turns over with no abnormal sound, its a little hard to turn when the cams are pushing the valves down but other than that normal.

please can any one help im getting to the point where i want to get rid of the bike now and accept defete.:thumbsup:

thanks for your help

All the loctite fixes done?

I should clarify...I wasn't suggesting that installing the bucket in the wrong spot would account for the noise....I was just suggesting that not putting them over the same spring could account for the one not going in smoothly.

Was the scraping sound there before you had the cams out? Is this why you removed the buckets, or was is simply a regular valve adjustment job?

If the noise was there before, it could be one of a number of things - too many to speculate with only the description provided.

Buckets should never need to be forced down. Even if they wore differently from location to location, and you installed into a different location, they will not required being forced down. Gently encouraged maybe... They wear, they do not grow. Could you see a build up of something preventing it slipping back in. They do need to be square (no funny comments about buckets being round please) when inserting.

how hard did you have to force that one bucket into place? Did you push it home with a finger or tap it into place with a tool of some kind? Do you have an auto cam chain tensioner (acct) ? Did you prelube parts before putting it all back in place?

any chance you dropped a valve shim into the engine?

Overtorquing of cam caps?

All the loctite fixes done?
yes
how hard did you have to force that one bucket into place? Did you push it home with a finger or tap it into place with a tool of some kind? Do you have an auto cam chain tensioner (acct) ? Did you prelube parts before putting it all back in place?
i had to tap it down with a hammer, i do have a acct at the moment just waiting for it to run right before i install waiting mcct
any chance you dropped a valve shim into the engine?
no chance
Overtorquing of cam caps?
maybe does any one know the correct torque

thanks for your input :thumbsup:

its not the shim bucket just spoke Eddie who assured me its not that, but i still have not got a clue what it is ?

My Suzuki RM-Z250 has 4 dowel pins that go (1 each) under the long and short bolts of the camshaft cover. They keep the camshaft cover squared up with the cams. Easy to forget to install them. My bike also has a C-clip that fits into a recess next to each cam gear. Easy to forget to install also. Missing any of those could cause a problem. As far as a hard to install bucket goes...is it possible that the valve spring recess was scarred by the spring compressor tool?

My Suzuki RM-Z250 has 4 dowel pins that go (1 each) under the long and short bolts of the camshaft cover. They keep the camshaft cover squared up with the cams. Easy to forget to install them. My bike also has a C-clip that fits into a recess next to each cam gear. Easy to forget to install also. Missing any of those could cause a problem. As far as a hard to install bucket goes...is it possible that the valve spring recess was scarred by the spring compressor tool?

we do have 4 dowell pins, no c clips tho, i think it could be scarred but it should not effect the the valve traveling throgh the train should it ?

thanks for your input.

Were abouts in the uk are you ? Im in Northampton

any chance the cam caps got put in the wrong place (switched)? could account for the rubbing/grinding. Look for wearing of the caps and head and the chain run.

The usual reason for buckets not dropping into place with finger pressure and a wiggle is the shim is not in place on top of the valve. If it is and the bucket still won't go in, look for the reason before you look for the hammer-they should slide with no resistance.

even if the bucket is tight in the bore there is no way that is causing the motor to struggle and make a scraping noise.

if the cam caps were way over torqued that can cause the cams to gall in the head.

i would suspect that or some sort oil delivery issue.

Were abouts in the uk are you ? Im in Northampton

im in wolverhampton,

even if the bucket is tight in the bore there is no way that is causing the motor to struggle and make a scraping noise.

if the cam caps were way over torqued that can cause the cams to gall in the head.

i would suspect that or some sort oil delivery issue.

thanks for clearing that up for me eddie, does any one know the correct cam cap torque spec,

72 inch pounds is spec. i use 60. this requires a 1/4' drive inch pound wrench.

hoping some on can help me again, i was just turning the hotcams to see if they turned freeley with the chain not attatched and the exhaust cam spined quite nice and smooth but the intake cam was really hard to turn compared to the exhaust it does turn but its like its rubbing on something, i checked the stock cams as well and they were not as bad but they were still rubbing.

am i right in thinking this is not normal ?

am i right in thinking it will need some sort of machine work to smooth it out ?

thanks

Edited by nicho627gb
72 inch pounds is spec. i use 60. this requires a 1/4' drive inch pound wrench.

Is there a specific reason for this other than to reduce the risk of galling of the camshaft journals?