titanium valves?, 03 crf450r

i just recently bought an 03 crf450r and it was in great condition. the guy said he had a mechanic put new titanium valves in it. i know this sounds good and all but how good are these? do they last long? durable? i am not good with 4 stroke engines yet but i need some ones opinion on these thanks a billion

Faxon:thumbsup:

Titanium valves , at least in the early CRF450s are not known to be all the durable. Sometimes they last forever, sometimes they don't. Just remember to keep your air-filter clean.

TI intake valves are stock on the 450R's. They are lighter than steel which allows the motor to rev up quicker. The TI valves aren't the problem on the earlier(pre 06) models, the valve seat material was the problem. If the seats were changed when the valves were done, it shouldn't be a problem. Like stated above, KEEP THE AIR FILTER CLEAN!

I've never had a problem with OEM Ti valves. How you clean your filter is much much important than how often you clean the filter.

so wats the best way to clean an air filter? with out buying a new one? and if i do get a new one do i oil it up with no toil oil? i did that on my 2 stroke but i dont know if it will mess up a 4 stroke or anything. thanks a billion

Faxon

I used to have an 03,, it seemed the valves lasted forever. I had it for 4 years, rode it about 2-3 times a month at a the mx track. Sold it in 08. The thing still started 1-2 kicks. That bike was solid. It's the luck of the draw I guess..Good oil, clean air filter and stay off the rev limiter. Four strokes like to be lugged, not strangled like a 2 smoke.

so wats the best way to clean an air filter? with out buying a new one? and if i do get a new one do i oil it up with no toil oil? i did that on my 2 stroke but i dont know if it will mess up a 4 stroke or anything. thanks a billion

Faxon

My experience with no-toil oil is not good. A heavy duty petroleum oil like Belray or Maxima FFT is much better and will help prolong valve life.

Petroleum oils require a 5 minute soak in a solvent like Diesel fuel or kerosene, followed by a few baths in warm water and a dishsoap like Dawn. I generally perform 3 soap/water baths get get all the silt out of the filter. Then the filter must air dry overnight and be bone dry before re-oiling. I prefer OEM honda air filters.

I have used Amsoil spray on air filter oil for years. I works great and it cleans up in the sink with Oxy Clean. Leaves a small ring in the sink. I wifey gets on my a$$ if I forget to wipe it off. Amsoil also offers a pre cleaner that is sprayed on before washing. I works good but not required.

i have a 03 crf450r and i just put stainless valves in, should i have changed the seats? is this going to be bad in the near future?

i have a 03 crf450r and i just put stainless valves in, should i have changed the seats? is this going to be bad in the near future?

your going to get answers from "it is fine, no worries" .. to "you should have done the piston, crank, clutch, grips, moved the bars forward, and put on new stickers..".

If it is running fine, i would not sweat it now that it's done. check the clearances on the valves a bit more often initially to see if they are moving on ya.

thanks for the info! its still in the shop so i will see when i get it back. i had a new piston and cam chain put on too/

My experience with no-toil oil is not good. A heavy duty petroleum oil like Belray or Maxima FFT is much better and will help prolong valve life.

Petroleum oils require a 5 minute soak in a solvent like Diesel fuel or kerosene, followed by a few baths in warm water and a dishsoap like Dawn. I generally perform 3 soap/water baths get get all the silt out of the filter. Then the filter must air dry overnight and be bone dry before re-oiling. I prefer OEM honda air filters.

Wow...that is exactly how I do it too...over 120 hours on the intakes of my CRF...never even an adjustment. :thumbsup:

I clean as those guys do. When I oil the filter I use Maxima FFT. I place the filter is a heavy duty 1 gt. zip lock bag and pour the FFT into the bag and remove as much air as possible and seal it. I work the oil into the filter until its saturated. I then cut a small corner out of the bag and milk the excess FFT back into the bottle. Open the bag and let the filter dry then install onto cage and install withclean hands!

Joe

Ok, there's gotta be a camera in my garage...you guys are watching me work...

Cowboy, that's also exactly what I do, and I even use the same stuff...

Too weird.

Me three!