Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter backwards. .

So, i have a new to me 2005 crf450x.

Just changed the oil on it for first time myself, and removed the filter to find its installed backwards. I am FUMING.

Whats the damage here? :/

It must have been run a while like this by previous owner as oil looks pretty 'used' :worthy:

is the bypass on the filter in case an idiot like the previous owner does this?

The top end looks somewhat 'oily' and seems like thatd be the first to go, but i havent torn into anything as it ran fine.

I did think the engine sounded a little 'knocky' but put this down to the fact its a high performance race engine with a very short skirt piston. :thumbsup:

Considering rebuilding before i have a choice.

Also found it had a spark plug from a subaru car engine in it, so mad.

Idiot previous owner

Both these things i could not have realized or spotted while viewing so i guess im unlucky.

Feed me the bad news. . .:confused:

I suppose you just fed non-filtered oil as the bypass would open. Or would it, the bypass is like a check valve (ball bearing held back by a spring) so maybe you aren't too bad off, the filter will "filter" either way fluid is flowing. Was it a SS or paper filter?

It was a paper hi flo filter.

I am unsure whether the bypass just allowed oil to pass in a clog or if it was to make it even more idiot proof. :/

I just had the same thing happen on my TRX400EX (4T atv)....went in for first oil change only to find it was in backwards.

I popped the lifter cover off and found it was nice and oily and that oil was the same color/consistency as the rest of the areas I could check.

I am not sure if any damage was done, but it sure appears like it got through there somehow. When installed backwards it does not make a seal so it should bypass enough to keep a decent flow...or that is what it looks like anyway.

My hope for you is the same thing, and maybe our motors are not that different.

But it sure is a scary thing to encounter...

well you are very lucky you didnt lose that motor, on kxf250s it blows in minutes, i know someone that did it twice i still make fun of him.

Makes me feel slightly better imthus only one!

I do feel lucky it's still running, it wasn't my mistake so I have no idea how long it's been in there like that, but looking at the oil I'd say a good 15+ hours.

Real concerned with the reliability of the bike after the period of abuse the previous owner has given it :thumbsup:

yea i would sell it and move on.

Subaru Spark Plug? :thumbsup: Couldn't that contribute to premature wear if the spark plug is not designed for the bike? Running too hot of a spark plug? What an idiot that PO was. I guess a lesson we can all learn from this is check/change everything after buying a used bike before riding it.

Sorry to hear about this man, hope it holds up for you.

yea i would sell it and move on.

Unlikely.

Last resort would be a rebuild, not just shrug it off and buy another.

What I I buy another one and find a problem? Just keep buying and selling till I find a nice one? I don't think so.

I'd rather rebuild and know exactly where I stand with it if it comes to it.

I don't see the big deal.

Unless you rode behind a group of guys in silt for days, or were doing hillclimbs all day, you should have NO problems.

Change the oil, ride it, and in 100 hours, take the top end off and take a look.

Now, if you rode it with NO AIR CLEANER, I would be far more worried.

^ you guys are retarted!!!!! the bike was starving for oil when the motor goes and it cost more than what you paid for the bike you can bang your own head. o theres nothing in there! you bought a bike that was not maintained properly:bonk::thumbsup::bonk::confused::bonk::worthy::bonk::busted::bonk::smirk::bonk::moon::bonk::p:bonk:;):bonk:;):bonk::moon::bonk:

^ you guys are retarted!!!!! the bike was starving for oil when the motor goes and it cost more than what you paid for the bike you can bang your own head. o theres nothing in there! you bought a bike that was not maintained properly:bonk::thumbsup::bonk::confused::bonk::worthy::bonk::busted::bonk::smirk::bonk::moon::bonk::p:bonk:;):bonk:;):bonk::moon::bonk:

It was not starved for oil, it as just un-filtered oil.

It must be nice to have X-ray vision when it comes to motors. No one knows what if any damage has been done, till it's opened up.

A KX motor oil system works differently. If you put that filter in backwards, you get NO OIL, cause you block off the passage way. On a CRF filter, the oil bypasses the filter (although through a restricted pathway).

AND THAT'S MR RETARD TO YOU.

Dont feel bad,if I go look at ten bikes for sale about eight or so have been neglected

If the motor needed rebuilding then it wouldn't cost me more than I paid for.

If I tear it down tomorrow and rebuild it, then it will only cost me about £600 in parts?

I wish it only cost me that!

Impossible to say how much it will cost if it grenades but a new motor can be found for a lot cheaper than I paid.

They (450x's) fetch a lot more than there motocross counterparts here in the uk

Well, for the sake of a non-argument, and increasing your ability to sleep at night (yes, it would bother me, too), I'd take a cursory look at the top end, such as pulling the valve/cam cover,and seeing what shape the cam is in.

If it is scored, or worn, I'd be concerned, and dump it or re-build it. If the cam looks fine, I'd change the oil, and enjoy the ride... :thumbsup:

Put that filter in, change that oil and ride that bee-atch til she blows!!!

:thumbsup: Now there we go. Then you will not be guessing anymore.