Sign in to follow this  

CRF150R or CRF250R

Hey guys!

Alright so ill start with saying im a pretty advanced rider! I have been riding for 4+ years on a CRF100F, and have around 2 hours on my friends CRF150R and a little on a KTM 85SX. I absolutely love his 150R... though im 5ft 7in and around 130 lbs and i think ive basically outgrown this bike. Money isnt a factor because i found two amazing deals. What do you guys think? I do mostly trail riding, woods riding, home mx track riding and want to get to some MX parks. I defiently want a MX bike so please dont reply saying to get a trail bike. Also my dad keeps saying he doesnt want me to get a 250 even though all of the 4 years i have been riding he has never watched me once except doing a lap or two in the backyard. How can i convince him? Wouldnt you guys agree its better to grow into a 250r then out of (even though i alreayd have) a 150r. I want this to be my last dirtbike so if i get a 150r i dont want to be buying a 250 in 6 months.

Also the 150R will be the regular verison, NOT the expert!

Thanks!

Well either way, this new dirtbike you get will not be your last dirtbike. I would get the 250.

Yes it most likely won't be my last dirtbike. By last dirtbike I meantg last dirtbike until I go to college, which will be in two years as I am currently 16. So at this age I believe I should be redy for a 250.

Anyone else have any opinions?

Thanks!

I think you have already made up your mind, so get a 250f. If your Dad wants you to get a different bike then I guess it comes down to who's money is being spent....either way enjoy what you have :thumbsup:

Why not a 125 2 stroke? That resolves the "250" issue and still gets you a bike that you won't outgrow. If you're like lots of guys, you'll be growing quite a bit over the next few years.

Why not a 125 2 stroke? That resolves the "250" issue and still gets you a bike that you won't outgrow. If you're like lots of guys, you'll be growing quite a bit over the next few years.

Ive grown up my whole life on 4 stroke vehicles so i would prefer to stick with them... so i think as of now, 2 strokes are out of the question. Thanks for the suggestion though. Gonna try and keep working my dad for the crf250r.

The problem is that as soon as he hears 250cc he freaks. He doesnt understand a 250cc 4 stroke is not nearly as powerful as a 250cc 2 stroke. Ill need to educate him a little, hes very new to dirtbikes and doesnt understand much about them or do his research.

Should have named this thread "How can I convince my dad to let me get a 250r!"

Make him watch you ride. Explain how a bigger bike is "safer". Since you're already to big for a 150r and riding something that is way to small for you is dangerous, yes thats it.

Should have named this thread "How can I convince my dad to let me get a 250r!"

Make him watch you ride. Explain how a bigger bike is "safer". Since you're already to big for a 150r and riding something that is way to small for you is dangerous, yes thats it.

Haahaha i probably should have! But the only problem is that i do all of my technical riding in the woods and underneath the powerlines and at my friends house and he doesnt have a bike to follow me or the ability to watch me. Ive tried explaining that the bike is very dangerous. Everytime after my riding my back is killing me. The suspension is absolutely horrible and one of these days im gonna take a hard landing and the bike is just gonna give out and im going to get seriously hurt. He doesnt really believe that but by him hearing you guys say it i think he will start to realize that he doesnt want his son to get hurt.

Thanks guys!

Grab him by the back of the neck pull his wallet out and make him do it! Just kiddling if he is like my Dad you will lose teeth over it. I would show him video on you tube of kids on 85's. Show how fast they are and explain this is about the bike fitting you not a faster bike. The 85 and 150 go plenty fast to kill you. Tell him that!

Grab him by the back of the neck pull his wallet out and make him do it! Just kiddling if he is like my Dad you will lose teeth over it. I would show him video on you tube of kids on 85's. Show how fast they are and explain this is about the bike fitting you not a faster bike. The 85 and 150 go plenty fast to kill you. Tell him that!

Okay ill give that a try! Hes seen me ride a CRF150R before and he knows theyre super fast so ill tell him its about the size, not the speed. Also about growing into it and it lasting me and having good power to get me through the rest of my high school years.

Okay ill give that a try! Hes seen me ride a CRF150R before and he knows theyre super fast so ill tell him its about the size, not the speed. Also about growing into it and it lasting me and having good power to get me through the rest of my high school years.

Seriously, You said you are 15 or 16 right? You need a full size bike. I would not get a 450 or 250 2 stroke yet but a 125 or a 250F would be perfect. Don't let the 125 haters fool you if you learn to ride them right they are fast and nimble. There are these two kids about 15 that beat me on the track all the time. They both have steel frame YZ125's. They beat me when I had my 450 and the beat me now on MY 09 YZ250F and it is a sand track! I don think a four stroke is easier to ride but you will develop better habits on a 2 stroke. Good Luck.

Seriously, You said you are 15 or 16 right? You need a full size bike. I would not get a 450 or 250 2 stroke yet but a 125 or a 250F would be perfect. Don't let the 125 haters fool you if you learn to ride them right they are fast and nimble. There are these two kids about 15 that beat me on the track all the time. They both have steel frame YZ125's. They beat me when I had my 450 and the beat me now on MY 09 YZ250F and it is a sand track! I don think a four stroke is easier to ride but you will develop better habits on a 2 stroke. Good Luck.

Okay thanks! Ill keep working him!