Overall vibrations

I'm wondering if anyone has put a custom flywheel in their 650. Ive seen several manufacturers claim that a heavier (balanced) flywheel in a bike like a DR will reduce vibration, and increase low end performance. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I'm looking for way to reduce overall vibration (not at the bars) on the whole bike. My DR isnt exactly smooth (I know I know, its a thumper). I've lost several bolts, and can't help but think it can be inproved somehow.

Thanks

I really doubt that it will make a noticeable difference. The Dr flywheel is balanced and adding wieght didn't make a difference when I tried it on a Kawasaki Kx500. To be honest with the rubber in the peg and bar mounts I have less vibes than I've had in most of my bikes including jap steet bikes. Rotating mass is gonna cause vibrations and there really is'nt much you can do.

It's true that DRs are thumpers, but very few of them vibrate themselves loose. How many miles on your '09? Do you run the rpm way up when you ride? KLR guys use blue loctite on everything.

Check all engine mounts for tightness, including the ones under the tank. I have 22k miles on mine and the only pieces I've lost are the two holding the heat shield on the exhaust, by my right shin.

no the engine is virgin. I think its the power pulses I feel the most as mentioned above. At certain RPMs it feels like its bucking front to rear. Feels kind of harsh. Seems like I notice more when my 14t is on. Im probably just being way to picky and imagining phantom issues. ?

no the engine is virgin. I think its the power pulses I feel the most as mentioned above. At certain RPMs it feels like its bucking front to rear. Feels kind of harsh. Seems like I notice more when my 14t is on. Im probably just being way to picky and imagining phantom issues. ?

It'll be your chain. Have a look down when it's doing it sometime.

You may be surprised what you see...

It's true that DRs are thumpers, but very few of them vibrate themselves loose. How many miles on your '09? Do you run the rpm way up when you ride? KLR guys use blue loctite on everything.

Check all engine mounts for tightness, including the ones under the tank. I have 22k miles on mine and the only pieces I've lost are the two holding the heat shield on the exhaust, by my right shin.

+1 Buy a bottle of Blue medium strength (242) Locktite. I don't put a nut or bolt on my bike without a drop applied. In truth the DR650 is a very smooth thumper. Since MH's machine is so new it's unlikely to need a chain or new sprocket bumpers but I can tell you that made a massive improvement in my 99 (along with replacing the sprocket carrier bearing which was toast) at around 14k miles.

My experience with vibration is similar as Craig's with the heat shield screws being one of the only things that have loosened up. 242 Locktite does not help here because of the temperatures.

MH have you replaced the lower chain roller with one of the bearing'd urethane units?... and of course flung the upper one in the ash can. ?

Even things like loose steering head bearings and swing arm bearings will increase vibrations. Make sure every bolt on your machine is torqued to the proper specs. Have you installed a skid plate? Is it direct mounted to the frame? If so some rubber between the frame and the plate will make a nice sound and vibration improvement.

hahaha, sucker looks like a huge string on a bass guitar getting plucked. with the size bore a 650 has, the power pulses are severe.
Aha!! Downshift. When I first started riding my DR, I shifted it like my truck, 1st thru 5th and I'm in 5th gear by 35 or 40. This won't work. In the city, you might not get out of third gear; can't even use 5th until 60, unless you're coasting downhill. ?

Aha!! Downshift. When I first started riding my DR, I shifted it like my truck, 1st thru 5th and I'm in 5th gear by 35 or 40. This won't work. In the city, you might not get out of third gear; can't even use 5th until 60, unless you're coasting downhill. ?

I basically don't go below 3,500rpm in any gear and I try and keep it closer to 4,000. My chain has no tight links, in fact it's very free and slaps around like aforementioned bass string and at certain revs it's most disconcerting. When loaded up with some revs on however, it's sweet.

What do you use for a tach? I have a Daytona Rev.Counter digital, 1-3/8" x 3" (35mm x 76mm), for reference. I have 23k miles, rode today and still referred to it often (what's wrong with this thing, check tach......oh, shift ?). Before the tach, new DR, I didn't have a clue what was going on. I agree with 3500-4000 and up.

+1 Buy a bottle of Blue medium strength (242) Locktite. I don't put a nut or bolt on my bike without a drop applied. In truth the DR650 is a very smooth thumper. Since MH's machine is so new it's unlikely to need a chain or new sprocket bumpers but I can tell you that made a massive improvement in my 99 (along with replacing the sprocket carrier bearing which was toast) at around 14k miles.

My experience with vibration is similar as Craig's with the heat shield screws being one of the only things that have loosened up. 242 Locktite does not help here because of the temperatures.

MH have you replaced the lower chain roller with one of the bearing'd urethane units?... and of course flung the upper one in the ash can. :confused:

Even things like loose steering head bearings and swing arm bearings will increase vibrations. Make sure every bolt on your machine is torqued to the proper specs. Have you installed a skid plate? Is it direct mounted to the frame? If so some rubber between the frame and the plate will make a nice sound and vibration improvement.

The upper roller is gone and the hole filled. First thing I did when I bought it. ? I hadn't even looked at a lower chain roller. I'll check them out. Is there an obvious benefit to these or is it a feel good type deal?

I noticed my chain was on the tight end of the spectrum. I get an inch of travel (.5 up/.5 down) but it's kind of stiff. Is the bike supposed to be on the kickstand or standing up when you measure chain slack? Ive been looking at it on the kickstand. Could this contribute to the felt vibration/pulse?

I do have a skidplate, and I coated the inside with spray on bedliner type stuff before I installed it. I think I'm going to butcher a couple in innertubes and put a few layers of rubber between it and the frame as well. It surely can't hurt.

For the most part at 3k RPMs+ it really purrs. Its just when I get down on the lower end of the RPMs that I can feel it kicking. As this is a thumper, and has some torque to it I want to be able to use it in the entire powerband and not stick to 3k+. I'll try some chain adjustments, and see if that has any effect.

I never added a tach to mine although I would agree it would come in handy from a diagnostic stand point. Like others on this forum who've had their bike a while, I kind of have a feel for the right RPM as I've blasted through the range pinging the limiter on occasion. Once you feel the pulling subside you know you've passed it. Got to shift fast the keep it in the right rpm range if your trying to see how fast she'll go.

As far as excessive shaking goes if you go too slow the vibes are worse if you go too fast the buzz gets worse. The right place is in the middle and that's where you want to be when your cruising. It's really not that bad once you get accustomed to it.

That is so sad.... you are riding a thumper with about a 2k rpm power band then. That was totally unacceptable to me. ?

I'll use lower revs but mainly on my way to the higher revs :confused:

1st and 2nd gear I'm not really worried what revs I pull but 3rd and up, I'd like to keep it as smooth as possible.

Attention everybody... You may now go back to code green. I repeat, you may now go back to code green. The problem has been identified, and a solution is in place. ?

I loosened the chain 1 spot on the spreader deals and the bike stopped "thumping" the entire frame and is back to the smooth ride I remembered.

Thanks for all the input.