Sign in to follow this  

does riding a two stroke make you a better rider??

So, I see on here a lot that riding a two stroke makes you a better rider. I was wondering if this has any proof? Do you have better clutch control? are you faster at the track? The main reason i ask is because i have a 2t and i was thinking about getting a 4t and i wanted to make sure I had learned all I could from the 2t before i sell it(maybe, two bikes in the garage sounds good too!!) Bottom line is what can you lean from a 2t that a 4t cant teach you(what do I still need to learn before I change bikes?)? any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

They mainly improve clutch control and on the smaller cc 2-strokes you need to keep momentum up through corners so they can help you improve your corner speed. The 4-strokes can be easier to ride on the track and allow a little bit more room for error. This mainly holds true for the 125 vs 250f debate though.

4 strokes make you lazier because you dont have to be "on the pipe" like you do on a two stroke. if you have ridden a 2 stroke and are good on it you will probably be faster on a 4 stroke.

P.S

in before flamewar

Thanks guys, I am really good at the clutch, I even own a manual car so shifting and clutch work are part of my life every day. I think I am pretty good about being on the pipe because of my clutch skills:)

If you ride anything with two wheels you will become a better rider. Riding technique/skill is 98% on the seat and 2% under the seat. Skill can be taught. Find someone to ride with who is more skillful than you and learn from them.

It is true that you hear this all the time, but proof in an empirical sense would require experiments--something along the lines of randomly assigning riders to undergo training on each different type of machine, and then comparing their skills at some point in the future under controlled conditions.

I think it probably is true that one type of bike can be easier to ride under certain conditions. I have not ridden four strokes on a MX track in quite some time now, but in my limited experience, they did seem "easier" to ride and maintain a good pace. In the woods however, I find 2 strokes easier to ride and maintain a race pace--450s are just too much bike, and 250fs just don't seem to have good "woods power".

As for learning specific skills, riding 85s and 125s is going to teach you a lot more about clutching and shifting, but I think it's open to debate as far as how much of that actually transfers to bigger bikes.

All I know is that my pingers have made me ride my thumpers harder!!!!! :thumbsup: