Sign in to follow this  

2006 head or 2004 piston?

Doing some reading on the weak valves on the 2002 Honda 450r. So which is better to do the 2006 head which is around 500 bones or replace the pistion? And install stainless valves? Wow maybe I should have kept my 2006 450r. But I wanted the green stick. Stupid California. But what is done is done. And advice thank you.:thumbsup:

You can put stainless valves into the 02 head and up grade the piston.

Hows that? Its not an either or...And the valves are the same from 02 through 08. The seats changed...but not all that much.

ProX makes a valve kit as well as several others. You can hit up ebay for a Wiseco Piston kit for pretty cheap and its as good as OEM.

Ok great this make me feel better. So on the piston just get a 2002. Ok I have thing to order. Thanks

So I was looking at the piston kits. The one I found is a 13.5:1 kit dose this sound like the one I need?

So they make a few others 12.1 has any one installed one that knows thevpart number or which one will be best?

I wouldnt put the 13.5 in a trail ridden bike. It'll haul ass and all that, but its way more than youd need. The 12.5:1 is plenty. The cam that bike runs will really like the compression too.

Really good deals can be had on the Wiseco piston kits. A new head is nice, but I think its more than what you need. The ProX stainless valve kit and having the seats cut is a lot cheaper and will do everything you want it to.

I wouldnt put the 13.5 in a trail ridden bike. It'll haul ass and all that, but its way more than youd need. The 12.5:1 is plenty. The cam that bike runs will really like the compression too.

Really good deals can be had on the Wiseco piston kits. A new head is nice, but I think its more than what you need. The ProX stainless valve kit and having the seats cut is a lot cheaper and will do everything you want it to.

Because of the ridiculous price for the aftermarket intake spring kits and the added cost of machine work, the cost of buying a new 08 head and installing new OEM valves/springs is about the same, and it's actually less if your old valve guides are worn out too.

Ok I talked to a shop by my house he recommend kibblewhite valves and a wiseco piston kit 500 bucks out the door. Said it's 10 times better and way less maintenance. Anyone have any feed back on this. Good idea or not. Thanks.

Ok I talked to a shop by my house he recommend kibblewhite valves and a wiseco piston kit 500 bucks out the door. Said it's 10 times better and way less maintenance. Anyone have any feed back on this. Good idea or not. Thanks.

.. pretty sure some suggestions have already been made? :thumbsup: There are also hundreds of threads about "what valves pistons" . Reading for days, literally.

I assume your guy is doing the stronger springs with teh ss valves? it is a good idea. Not so sure you can beat an OEM piston, or at least there is no way are aftermarkets "10x better.." but Wiseco/JE are good product.

Well I hope so on the springs. Ha and on the 10 times better is the maintenance part. Hell if I just move out of CA I would have to have a dang green sticker. But thanks for all the imput guys. Feeling much better on my trade. Next is ride it like I stole it.

Personally, I wouldn't rebuild a ten year old head because of the high likelihood that the guides are shot. If that's the case, it's cheaper to go all new OEM. You also get the benefit of better porting if you go that route.

When you say go all oem is that a new head and piston rings. And do I still go with the stainless valves? And on the piston oem also? Sorry to keep beating a dead horse. I just want to go the best route so I don't have unnecessary maintenance on the valves and shims.

wheres the best place to get new OE heads? And what year is ideal?

I've been pondering buying one of the ebay heads where the guy has beryllium seats on them that apparantly mate well with oe ti intake valves... and result in similar maintenance as an SS valve, but remain lightweight and easier for the valvespring to control.... anyone have any input on going that route on an 02?

wheres the best place to get new OE heads? And what year is ideal?

I've been pondering buying one of the ebay heads where the guy has beryllium seats on them that apparantly mate well with oe ti intake valves... and result in similar maintenance as an SS valve, but remain lightweight and easier for the valvespring to control.... anyone have any input on going that route on an 02?

lots of threads on this very topic.. i posted a bunch about the 08 head i put on my 04 bike after it had around 850 hours. As CamP posted earlier, mucking about with an old head by the time you change guides, cut the seats (and you still have the crap seat material on your 02).. it just isn't worth it. Can get ready to bolt on heads with springs, valves, and the head for $550-600.

I opted for the OEM 08 head and Kibblewhite SS valves (had the hd springs) but i get good discounts from a local dealer. A new OEM head will NOT come with guide seals though.. Found that out.

Having an 2nd bike now, an 08crf450, and having put nearly 200hrs on the 04 bike (with 08 head) and not having the valves move anywhere NEAR as much as it did with the 04 head.. I am almost convinced you do NOT need ss valves on the 06 or newer heads. The updated seat material is much easier on the valves.

Thanks MELK-MAN all this helps very much just one more thing and I will let this go. I will go with the 2008 OEM head, this is a direct bolt on? And did you use the Oem pistion of an 02? If not what kit did you use. I think I will still get the ss kibblewhite valves. Thanks again. I have my plan.

Thanks MELK-MAN all this helps very much just one more thing and I will let this go. I will go with the 2008 OEM head, this is a direct bolt on? And did you use the Oem pistion of an 02? If not what kit did you use. I think I will still get the ss kibblewhite valves. Thanks again. I have my plan.

I would suggest you build a 08 head with OEM 08 valves/springs/cotters/retainers/seals and use OEM 08 piston/rings and gaskets. All OEM Honda parts. Everything will bolt right up. Best OEM Honda parts prices I've found are at http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/procaliber/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp

I'd also recommend that you buy new exhaust manifold studs for the new head. They are only $2 and getting the old ones out can be difficult. Don't forget a new o-ring for the coolant hose connection at the head.

Your complete old head is worth about $100 on ebay.

Edited by CamP