Sign in to follow this  

Takes 5-7 Starts to Keep Running

2006 450X. Great bike, but since I have owned for a year, I have never been able to get it to start in less than 5-7 pushes of the magic button. Of course this is pretty rough on the battery life.

A typical ride day goes like this...choke on, pump throttle 6-7 times, push button and it fires right up, but it will not stay going. It runs fast for a couple of seconds, then drops way down on idle (even with choke on) then dies.

I go through this repeatedly until it finally starts, runs high for a moment then the idle speed drops way down to nearly stalling then it sorta pulls out and goes back to that high idle again...all this while the choke is on.

Oh, it is difficult whether Winter or Summer...but a bit harder to start in Winter---maybe 10 of these start cycles. Typically I end up having to kickstart it as the battery drains. And today I just purchased a new battery, and it still requires multiple cycles.

I am just curious if this is common or is there something I need to adjust? It came with JD jetting kit, Yoshi exhaust. The air box has not been opened up but when it runs, it is plenty enough power for me.

Anyway, tried looking this up before posting but did not find my issue.

Yeah, the P/O only said one of the JD's was in there, and handed me the box with the rest of the kit. I am quite JD unwise so not sure if this is a good kit or not...seen it mentioned plenty on TT.

Ok so jetting and the fuel screw adjustment can make this kind of difference? I guess it throws me off some because it runs like a champ once it starts. And once it is hot or just a little warm, it fires right up...no multiple tries and no priming the throttle needed either.

I did figure out that if I do not prime the throttle several times EACH time I hit the start button, it absolutely will NOT ever start. For some reason I always thought the 4T rule was not to give it any gas up front, but this one definitely needs it.

Yeah, the P/O only said one of the JD's was in there, and handed me the box with the rest of the kit. I am quite JD unwise so not sure if this is a good kit or not...seen it mentioned plenty on TT.

Ok so jetting and the fuel screw adjustment can make this kind of difference? I guess it throws me off some because it runs like a champ once it starts. And once it is hot or just a little warm, it fires right up...no multiple tries and no priming the throttle needed either.

I did figure out that if I do not prime the throttle several times EACH time I hit the start button, it absolutely will NOT ever start. For some reason I always thought the 4T rule was not to give it any gas up front, but this one definitely needs it.

Welllll, you can continue to second-guess the problem, and the advice, or dive right in and fix it.

You NEED to finish the jet kit installation.

You NEED to inspect your jets for varnishing.

You NEED to replace your fuel screw with one you can access and adjust.

Now, if the valves are way out of spec, this could be part of the problem. First symptom is hard starting.

But you need to re-jet no matter what, so do that first.

It will take two hours.

I hear ya and appreciate it Kranny.

Not really 2nd guessing just making sure I repeat it to myself out loud so I don't try to wriggle out of the real work needed. Thanks for the additional about the valves, did not think of that on top of the jetting. I'll take a look at all of this.

Mine does the same thing when it is cold. If the air temp is at least 50 degrees, it will fire up easily no matter how long it has been sitting. Below that though, it is a bitch to start.

Mine does the same thing when it is cold. If the air temp is at least 50 degrees, it will fire up easily no matter how long it has been sitting. Below that though, it is a bitch to start.

when shes cold it will need a little more fuel to get it lit. try backing the fuel screw out 1/4-1/2 a turn ad see if that helps:ride:

I hear ya and appreciate it Kranny.

Not really 2nd guessing just making sure I repeat it to myself out loud so I don't try to wriggle out of the real work needed. Thanks for the additional about the valves, did not think of that on top of the jetting. I'll take a look at all of this.

I had your probs at one point in time.

I have the JD kit, red needle and a flex fuel screw. I have dialed it in and my bike starts no matter the temp or alt on the first crank with choke on. I can even start it without the choke but I have to work the throttle a bit. Choke on, no throttle or maybe one throttle hit before the start and off it goes. Choke for about 20 secs or so and off it goes and the bike purrs. This is how it should work once you get it dialed. Listen to what Krannie said and you will be on your way.

Found on youtube

Thats exactly what I was trying to describe. Good video of how it should be.:thumbsup:

I did not have a chance to take everything down yet, but I did adjust the fuel screw out 1/4 turn.

Now it starts up with the higher rpms you would expect while choked...then it still falters but somehow this has stopped it from stalling out...so I am good to go on a single press of the button now.

When time permits, I will need to do the thorough cleaning.

Thanks!!

I did not have a chance to take everything down yet, but I did adjust the fuel screw out 1/4 turn.

Now it starts up with the higher rpms you would expect while choked...then it still falters but somehow this has stopped it from stalling out...so I am good to go on a single press of the button now.

When time permits, I will need to do the thorough cleaning.

Thanks!!

I high idle is not good to ride with. It will wear things out faster.

I may not have explained it right...the high idle happens only for that brief time when I have it choked. I hit the start button and it goes to high idle, but immediately slows way down and stalls immediately...all of this while it is choked.

I typically have to do this 7-8 times before it actually stays running. Once it commits to staying running, I THEN can take it off choke and it will run normally.

But since I tried the advice of backing the fuel screw out 1/4 turn further...it does the same routine but it does not stall anymore. So now it is good to go on the first try!!!

And I do not keep it on high idle when I ride. The idle is only high when initially choked on that (previously) tedious starting routine.

I may not have explained it right...the high idle happens only for that brief time when I have it choked. I hit the start button and it goes to high idle, but immediately slows way down and stalls immediately...all of this while it is choked.

I typically have to do this 7-8 times before it actually stays running. Once it commits to staying running, I THEN can take it off choke and it will run normally.

But since I tried the advice of backing the fuel screw out 1/4 turn further...it does the same routine but it does not stall anymore. So now it is good to go on the first try!!!

And I do not keep it on high idle when I ride. The idle is only high when initially choked on that (previously) tedious starting routine.

Got it. Well mine starts up first hit and idles normal choked, a little higher than normal but steady. After about 20 to 30 secs, I turn off the choke and my idle slows to norm and just waits for me while it warms up. I never touch the throttle till its warm. To me, thats how it should start and thats why I think your fuel screw fix is a band aid covering up an issue in the carb. Just MHO. Good luck and at least you get to ride.:thumbsup: