Why does my bike always think it's 1:00 when it starts?

I figure there's a dead battery someone in my speedo. I'm still using the stock speedometer but every time I start up by bike the clock reads 1:00. I set it to the correct time and of course it does it resets when the power is killed. Any idea if there is a battery or what I can do to replace this?

There is a wire that supplies battery power to the unit when the bike is off. yours is either disconnected or cut. some people cut the wire to cut back on the battery draw

edit: according to this diagram https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9836917&postcount=6

its the red wire that goes to your speedo unit, it should have +12v all the time

I figure there's a dead battery someone in my speedo. I'm still using the stock speedometer but every time I start up by bike the clock reads 1:00. I set it to the correct time and of course it does it resets when the power is killed. Any idea if there is a battery or what I can do to replace this?

are you using plutonium for fuel with 1.21 jigawatts and attaining speeds of 88mph?

Are you sure you are fully completing setting the time, there is another final button that you have to press after setting the time, step 5 of the manual (it was a scan of the manual on a thread here somewhere), otherwise I have heard it will reset to 1 every time you reset it.

Are you sure you are fully completing setting the time, there is another final button that you have to press after setting the time, step 5 of the manual (it was a scan of the manual on a thread here somewhere), otherwise I have heard it will reset to 1 every time you reset it.

I recently had the speedo off. I haven't set the time yet, but the time does not reset to 1 every time I turn power off/on.

I believe I confirmed the time. I'll make sure I try that though. Also I'll check the wire to see if it has power.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked into this a bit and the bike constantly has 12 volts flowing to the gauges. Still the bike resets to 1:00 after being off for more than a minute or so. If I turn the power off and back on for less than 30 seconds or so it seems to work fine. So do you think this is an issue with my gauges? Do I need to replace them?

Put your volt meter on the red wire to the speedo. Switch the bike off. The meter should still read 12.8V with the key off.

Yup the bike constantly has that voltage running to the speedometer even with no key in it. Problem still presists.

ok is it always 1 o clock when you start the bike ??? LOL J/K

maybe there is a cold solder joint where the red wire runs into the unit or maybe the red wire is broken and only makes connection intermittently.

The S guage set-up has been shown to occaisionally have some weak solder joints, easiest way to fix this is take the unit apart and reflow the solder joints

Eric V have you confirmed +12 on the red wire w key off ? if yes just for yucks wait an hour and look for +12 again

it will be interesting to see if both units display the same failure mode

one more question for both. Does this happen every time or some percentage of the time ?

Make sure your mode is set to "Clock" (display reads "CLOCK") and not stopwatch (display reads "TIME") or timer (display reads "-TIME"). To change the mode, just press the Time/Mode button. It will cycle through the three modes.

WGW

ok is it always 1 o clock when you start the bike ??? LOL J/K

maybe there is a cold solder joint where the red wire runs into the unit or maybe the red wire is broken and only makes connection intermittently.

The S guage set-up has been shown to occaisionally have some weak solder joints, easiest way to fix this is take the unit apart and reflow the solder joints

Eric V have you confirmed +12 on the red wire w key off ? if yes just for yucks wait an hour and look for +12 again

it will be interesting to see if both units display the same failure mode

one more question for both. Does this happen every time or some percentage of the time ?

Mine's an S model and yup- it's always 1:00 when I start it up again (actually I don't look, but by the time I get on and ride I do look and it's like 1:05, 1:10 or whatever, so I am assuming it's starting right at 1:00.)

I haven't checked the voltage or anything like that...I may try but to be honest I've never given it too much thought as I also wear a watch when I ride and even when I don't I have my cell with me. When I first got the bike (some time ago now) I feared the battery was in decline, but it's been the same battery each season w/ no issues. I know, I know, I shouldn't be running an ancient battery. Believe it or not I don't have it on a tender while it sits for a few winter months outside, and when I do the pre-season crank up it's mildly weak but then it catches and it's strong every time thereafter (and another "I know, I know..." as I do get that the charging system is not designed to be strong enough to "resurrect" a bad or very weak battery, it's just enough to keep a largely healthy one healthy. ? ) I know I should stop gambling, but again the thing fires right up each time after that initial after winter start up.

I'm defiantly setting the clock not the stop watch. I referred to the manual to do it correctly. Also I believe the bike had 12.8(ish I don't recall exactly) volts while it was on as well. No variance there. I'll check into the solder joints, perhaps one has gotten messed up which would provide a reasonable explanation for the issue. Besides that I can't think of any reason this would be happening unless there's some tiny internal capacitor or battery that's bad.

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I have the same exact problem, and I've gone through the same troubleshooting that has been recommended here. I'm going by memory because I encountered this problem a few years ago so I don't have pictures or anything.

William, it is not due to voltage drop. You can be running and it's fine, and then shut it off for a few minutes. Turning the ignition to on without starting the bike(no voltage drop) and it still resets.

I took apart the speedo unit and there was some corrosion on a couple of SMT components and connections right on the trace for the constant power wire at the penetration of the wiring into the enclosure. Obviously, some moisture got into the unit. I cleaned it up a bit, but I did not try replacing any components as I didn't want to ruin the rest of the unit. Ultimately, I am just living with it, but surely it could be fixed with the right amount of time, skill and knowledge invested. Good lucks guys!

The OP states it only happens when he starts his bike. No mention of it happening again until the next restart. So a bad solder joint is not very likely.

If it happened like you state, intermitently while riding, then a cold solder joint or similar poor connection inside the unit is certainly most likely. You should try removing the parts, flushing them with distilled water, giver that parts a careful drying off then leave on the windowsill for a week then re-solder.