Sign in to follow this  

Xr 400 exhaust power tip

Do you guys know if the power tips you can buy to replace your stock baffle make anymore power with your stock exhaust?????

Anyone try the billet ones on ebay? Power? Loud? Approved spark arrestor?

My old man has the stocker which has been gutted, sounds good, maybe a little loud but makes great power with the spark arrestor intact :ride:

That's what I run too. It's got holes drilled all around the outside of the stock outlet. It's "throaty" - When I get sound checked at a race, they just smile- translation=it's not excessively loud.

Those ones on ebay look cool, but I suspect they are pretty loud and I'm guessing they dont have a USFS acceptance of the spark arrestor, so that's a potential ticket of unknown $$ - In CA probably $1,000!

My old man has the stocker which has been gutted, sounds good, maybe a little loud but makes great power with the spark arrestor intact :thumbsup:

Hey XL100, I have a 2003 400 and I just ordered a stock 1996 spark arrestor to replace my drilled stocker. The 96-97 have a seperate diffuser that is welded in on 98 and newer bikes. All I ordered was the spark arrestor for like $65 bucks. It has a much larger opening with the diffuser removed. I should have it by Monday and I'll post up if it makes a difference, power and sound wise, over a drilled out (gordon modded) version with 4 holes drilled. I'll post up pics comparing the 2 also. :thumbsup:

FYI for anyone else - Baja Designs has discontinued thier "HRC Baffle" for the XR400 :ride:. No longer available, I tried to order that one 1st cuz it was a little cheaper but the stock 96-97 Honda part is very close to the same thing, not exact, but very close and only a few bucks more.

Yeah post up the results! If you have the time run it on a professsional sound chart and a motorcycle dyno!!!!! that would be sweet?? How come none of these motorcycle heads around here don't have a dyno right in their garage?????:thumbsup:

Yeah post up the results! If you have the time run it on a professsional sound chart and a motorcycle dyno!!!!! that would be sweet?? How come none of these motorcycle heads around here don't have a dyno right in their garage?????:thumbsup:

No problem, I got both as presents last xmas. :ride:

A buddy I ride with has one of those billet tips on his xr4 . He bought it on flea bay for like 35 bucks. I don't think it's that loud but he always rides behind me.:thumbsup: and I know the pro circuit I have on my bike is really loud .

Got it in today and just slapped it on. Started it 1st so the sound level was fresh in my mind for comparison. 96-97 is definitly louder than a stocker with 4 holes drilled ala "Gordon Mods". Probably about the same sound level as my 450 EXC, maybe a little more but not much if it is. Best guess is approx 92-94 db. MUCH deeper sound than the drilled unit, sounds studly without being offensive.

2003 stocker has a .813" outlet plus the drilled holes (4 @ .219"). 96 tip has a 1.375" outlet and extends deeper into the muffler by about 2". If I decide it's too loud after some running I'll just machine a reducer to slip and take it down to 1.125" or 1". Atleast with this tip I can experiment a little easier and still have a nice clean look.

Pics and seat of the pants dyno info still to come. I'm running a mikuni pumper so I'll just tune the fuel screw and I should be good with the 15/130 in there (unless anyone else runs different with a free flowing exhaust @ sea level to 1000'?).

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

004.jpg

003-1.jpg

Edited by michigan400

So is that shiny one a <98 stocker, or a core you modified with that screen and outlet?

Yup, stock honda part. Baja Designs no longer carries the HRC baffle so I got a 96 stock unit from bikebandit. It was only like $5 more than the baja designs unit. Not sure if the HRC one is a bigger outlet or not but I wouldn't want anything louder anyways.

004.jpg

Well, after an actual ride I have to take back what I said about sound level. It's defintely louder than my KTM, wich I know runs around 91-92db. The outlet on the stock KTM can is approx 1 1/8". I'm going to make a reducer sleeve that will take the 1 3/8" opening down to 1 1/8" on the XR and see what that does for sound level. Power wise, there is an increase in mid to top pull with the open end. Not huge, but noticable. Seems to rev up a shade quicker as well. Pulled up to 60 real easy with stock gearing where the old tip felt like it was working much harder to do that.

Wild idea here, but has anyone ever tried wrapping some exhaust packing around the screen on the 96-97 ends? Just wondering if that would knock a couple db's off and have little effect on the flow. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

Wild idea here, but has anyone ever tried wrapping some exhaust packing around the screen on the 96-97 ends? Just wondering if that would knock a couple db's off and have little effect on the flow. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

I'm sure that this would reduce the sound output... however, I don't think there is enough room to shove it back in the can with packing over the screen?

Perc

M400 , that new one looks like the stock unit on my 97

I made this end to keep the sound level down .

Bikes096.jpg

Bikes097.jpg

It takes the place of the baffle , I drilled 5 holes [ 5/16 ] in the aluminum and It really helped , I can't tell any difference in performance if I remove it.

Yup, 96-97 stocker i just ordered. I found a pc of 2" diameter alum. rod stock at work I'll chuck in the lathe and do something similar to what you have.

I know the Gordon Modded ends (w/ 4-6 holes) work well, but I'm going for roughly the same or shade more noise level, but with it all as 1 opening vs several smaller ones. I think 1 opening roughly = to the area the drilled tip provides would flow better with less turbulance. It might help, it might not. :thumbsup: If nothing else it gives me something to tinker with out in the garage and the total cost is still waaaaaay less than an aftermarket exhaust.

Whats the ID on that pipe in yours crazyfast?

Tinkering :thumbsup:

The ID of that one is 600 thousands and the pipe is 4-5 inches long.

The length of the pipe is almost as long as the original baffle . I cut the screen off and reinstalled it with three screws.

I think the length of the pipe is what keeps the sound level down. I might try and find something with a bit larger ID and re-do it, the 440 in this bike needs th breath a little bit more.

.6 is smaller than the stock outlet on my '03. I'm gonna try 1" and if the sound is still decent go to 1 1/8" max and see what it does.