1994 yz250

I acquired a nearly unridden 94 YZ250...with a shot engine. Crank is destroyed, cylinder and head require refurbish and can't find a reasonably priced crank, if it's in stock at all. Wondering what my options are. I dont want to throw away a rolling chassis without hardly a scratch on it. Heard there may be some WR motors out there with a taller gearbox? Not sure where to look?

Any help greatly appreciated

I may not be the most qualified to answer this, but I do believe that the '92-'96 YZ and WR shared the same crank. If it's not good info, someone will correct me...but I'm pretty sure. One nice thing about the Yammies is the interchangeability of parts and they tended to stay with certain basic designs for quite a few years.:thumbsup:

Did you get a good deal on it?:confused:

Nice-Rare Super-Bike This forum will help you-like it has helped so many of us.-1990-96 YZ and 1996-97 WR Same Crankshaft.--Your Stuff is on E-bay as we speak. Under E-bay Motors search type in YZ 250 Crankshaft. There are a couple of nice ones. Plus someone has a new Hot Rod Kit for a great price. Now the Top-end is a differant story-You have to stay with the JX stuff to keep it real-Good luck- Shoot us alot of pics-good or bad.

th_Bikeproblems002.jpg

Did you get a good deal on it?:confused:

Traded it for an old broken boat I had. Now I have a nearly new rolling chassis, and a box of engine parts

Nice-Rare Super-Bike This forum will help you-like it has helped so many of us.-1990-96 YZ and 1996-97 WR Same Crankshaft.--Your Stuff is on E-bay as we speak. Under E-bay Motors search type in YZ 250 Crankshaft. There are a couple of nice ones. Plus someone has a new Hot Rod Kit for a great price. Now the Top-end is a differant story-You have to stay with the JX stuff to keep it real-Good luck- Shoot us alot of pics-good or bad.

th_Bikeproblems002.jpg

Nice lookin bike :thumbsup:

Thank you for the info. I'm not familiar with 'JX stuff'? Is there any valor in looking for a WR complete motor? Is the gearbox worth the effort? Any other reasons why one would be preferable over another?

I'll get some pics later.

:worthy:

4JX00 is the part ##on the cases and Jug.I had a power valve issue--My Cylinder was so wore out that the pistion smacked the PV. This will help-free manual-Type in 1994 yz 250 manual under search-I suck at postings LOL.Do not let anyone tell you that all the Power-valves will interchange.It has to be a 4Jx00,1994 yz,wr and 96-97 wr,New one cost as much as my top-end rebuild-but so worth it.Congrats man nice score---Let's see it good/bad it's all good.

P.S RC Cannon is one of the YZ Gods on this site--He knows more about wide ratios andBig-bore kits--High Tech BRaaaaaaaaaaaa

Just found out that a 94 WR crank will not work in my 94 YZ. I'm going to call Eric Gorr next chance I get, and see what he can do for me. Seems if he can locate a crank, he could fix it for me. Then I gotta decide if I want a 300 kit.

Then again, I found this on ebay LINK

The '94 YZ motor is almost legendary.

:confused::worthy::busted::smirk::thumbsup:

I wouldn't bother with a big bore, but the added flexability of a WR gearset would be very worthwhile.

Keep us updated on your progress, and post pics!

i would go with a complete wr gear box if you could find one. i found one on ebay from a 95 wr250 for 150 bucks for my 97 yz250. i just put my top end on the gearbox and love it and remember the wr comes with a lighting coil for a head light.

Any reason this 96 WR250 motor would not bolt right into my frame?

LINK to Ebay

P5060001.jpg

The bottom end should bolt right up they use the same case from 92-97.

nearly unridden 94 YZ250...with a shot engine.

i hate it when that happens :thumbsup:

LINK to Ebay

P5060001.jpg

I may be way off my mark here, but I would check the VIN to verify the year. The frame color and brake rotors look to be a later model than a '94, IIRC they did not paint the frames blue until '97ish.

LINK to Ebay

P5060001.jpg

Your chain is a little loose there. :thumbsup:

Just lurk on CL for a while. Find one with just a blown top end but with an overall clapped chassis. Buy for nothing and replate the cylinder with new piston. Voila!

I may be way off my mark here, but I would check the VIN to verify the year. The frame color and brake rotors look to be a later model than a '94, IIRC they did not paint the frames blue until '97ish.
You are correct as to painting the frames blue in '97, but while the '93 and '96 had white frames, the '94-'95s had two different colors of purple-ish frames. :thumbsup:

The blue-ish purple would be a '94, the red-ish purple would be '95.

Check 'em out...

http://www.motodacross.com/yamaha/yz125.htm

You are correct as to painting the frames blue in '97, but while the '93 and '96 had white frames, the '94-'95s had two different colors of purple-ish frames. :thumbsup:

The blue-ish purple would be a '94, the red-ish purple would be '95.

Check 'em out...

http://www.motodacross.com/yamaha/yz125.htm

Nice chronology

Edited by shrubitup

I got the 'blue-purplish' color with all white plastics

I stand corrected and learned something new:worthy:

th_Bikeproblems002.jpg

This was one of my FAVORITE YZ250's I remember Bradshaw's factory bike, I had a KX at the time.

These were good bikes!

Did some double checking:According to several OEM-on line shops The YZ and the WR use the same crank and has the exact part numbers --again start a new post these guys will tell ya if it is or not.DrewsRM128.jpg

If you go to Photobucket-Check out my garage ---prostreetray--I have more pics of the"Austin Powers" YZ-250 Ya Baby L.O.L YZ-JustneedsFluids031.jpg