Sign in to follow this  

California Looking for Black Dirt forest with streams and single track

Hey guys.

Hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I have been riding southern cal for about 6-7 years and i am kind of burnt out on all the desert scape riding. I want to go ride in a wet, damp forest with trees, streams, black rich dirt. Is it even possible in California? and if so where?

I have described my vision of where id like to ride as the Ewok forest from starwars which was filmed in the Redwood national forest. But i dont think there is any riding in that area that is legal.

Please provide your input here. Thanks.

2008 450 KXF

:thumbsup:

Nor Cal is fun but you need a license plate for most of it if not all-unlike the Dez. Also, it's all dust up there in the summer. Generally, the offroad thing is far different up there and get on AdvRider.com to get into that crowd. Be forewarned that they ride a lot bigger bikes up there. An XR650R is considered a pig down here but an entry level scoot up there.

Eastern Oregon is fantastic but it's two day drive before you start riding and the forest riding there is no better than Tahoe but twice as far.

There's some good riding at Big Bear-not epic but fun. Plenty of forest in Baja and occasional snow too.

The central coast of Cali has lots of wet and trees and water and all that.

There's plenty of riding in the Sierra as well-more than you could do in the next 20 years and the days often end with fly fishing for your dinner.

There are riding groups all over the place so start looking around.

If you were a real So Cal guy you'd have a boat for the summer at the River.

If you are headed to Nor Cal you can't do better than riding with Troy, a transplanted So Cal guy who runs the following group and a couple of others. Just an outstanding guy. www norcaldualsport dot com

Get on the Yahoo group lists for that area as well.

The Ironmandualsport guy has a Lost Coast (Redwoods) ride but I don't know him at all.

You need better friends; Your current sketch pile is underperforming. :thumbsup:

PM me if you need some help. I just moved back to So Cal after 5 years in Nor Cal.

Never rode there, but I think Kennedy Meadows is where the SoCal guys go to party with the Ewoks.

Edited by Shagnasty
Vodka

Yes it is possible. KM is an example, but it's still closed due to the snow. If you want wet and damp you do need to hit it as soon as it opens.

Trees are easy. Black dirt, not so much. Wet can be a tougher quest to find.

Now one problem might be your bike. It's a red sticker, right? KM is just about the only place in SoCal that is red sticker year around.

Nor Cal is fun but you need a license plate for most of it if not all-unlike the Dez. Also, it's all dust up there in the summer. Generally, the offroad thing is far different up there and get on AdvRider.com to get into that crowd. Be forewarned that they ride a lot bigger bikes up there. An XR650R is considered a pig down here but an entry level scoot up there.

That pretty much sums it up right there! I want to get rid of my KX450F cause

it's too quick and nimble for everything in Northern Cali. I'm thinking XR650L since

all we have up here is wide-open fireroads. The "L" comes with a plate, too, so I

can connect the fireroads.

Come on guys, your NorCal guys are holding out on the new guy. Share the good stuff!!! :thumbsup::banana::confused:

Colorado........High country is buried in snow now but Rampart & front range places are opening up.

That pretty much sums it up right there! I want to get rid of my KX450F cause

it's too quick and nimble for everything in Northern Cali. I'm thinking XR650L since

all we have up here is wide-open fireroads. The "L" comes with a plate, too, so I

can connect the fireroads.

You might be surprised as to just where a XR650L will go in the hands of a capable rider. It's not the bike, it's the rider.

You might be surprised as to just where a XR650L will go in the hands of a capable rider. It's not the bike, it's the rider.

I ride my 500AF in NorCal woods all the time. It is great.

My XR650L will go anywhere - though a little slower.

I have bot found a trail yet that my 650L had any issues.

It has been UP Horse Canyon multiple times this last summer.

No problem.

Plus - it connects trails and fire roads just fine.

And, if we are out of milk, it does milk runs just fine as well.

I do like to pass people on it while beeping the horn:smirk:

I do like to pass people on it while beeping the horn:smirk:

:confused::worthy::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:worthy::ride:

I vote for KM but I'll bet it opens pretty late this year, snow pack was record depth this year.

My post just went way over your head!

Nothing up here in NorCal to suit your needs, used to be, but not any more. We live with seasonal closures now that eliminate the possibility of riding the forest any time that it's not completely dry and so dusty you have to leave a half mile gap between riders. Between that and "Travel Management" closing huge volumes of historic trails there's not much a poor boy can do up here other than the dual-sport thing.

Nothing up here in NorCal to suit your needs, used to be, but not any more. We live with seasonal closures now that eliminate the possibility of riding the forest any time that it's not completely dry and so dusty you have to leave a half mile gap between riders. Between that and "Travel Management" closing huge volumes of historic trails there's not much a poor boy can do up here other than the dual-sport thing.

6 years ago when I rode my CR500 all the time, I would have told someone to stick that 650L up their monkey butt.

Now, it is hard to enjoy the 500 with the smaller riding areas, closed sections so you cant link stuff together anymore, etc.

I was one of the lucky ones to enjoy Caples creek, on my 500. Government Meadows, etc. Too bad they are just memories now!

Last year my 500 went out 6 times:(

The 650L got 2800+ miles on it.

Things are changing, so I guess we have to adapt.

They are not going to adapt to us.

Last year my 500 went out 6 times:(

The 650L got 2800+ miles on it.

Things are changing, so I guess we have to adapt.

They are not going to adapt to us.

Yeah, the YZ250 is about the best woods bike I've ever had, now it is pretty much just my race bike. The KTM 525 is plated, and gets used much more in the summer doing small private dual sport rides like the "Lakes Tour" we did last year. Keep the groups small, everyone on plated bikes, and you can still find good stuff out there. The only problem with this for me is that when we find some really good stuff on the big dual sport bikes I'm wishing I could get there on the YZ.

Yeah, the YZ250 is about the best woods bike I've ever had, now it is pretty much just my race bike. The KTM 525 is plated, and gets used much more in the summer doing small private dual sport rides like the "Lakes Tour" we did last year. Keep the groups small, everyone on plated bikes, and you can still find good stuff out there. The only problem with this for me is that when we find some really good stuff on the big dual sport bikes I'm wishing I could get there on the YZ.

Doing a "Dual Sport" from my place tomorrow.

You are more than welcome if you want.

Probably leave my place around 8:00 am.